ANST - re: hurling ...

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Apr 3 08:10:31 PST 1998

On  2 Apr 98 at 11:22, Mark.S Harris wrote:

> Well, there is always hurley (sp?). Hard rubber ball and sticks. But
> then a while back when a hurley fad ran through this Bryn Gwlad for
> a short time (courtesy of Robin Solarius) we had more injuries on
> the hurley field than we had ever had from armored combat.

if you read the irish historical and literary source, this is the
norm for hurling ...

the records record that it was often played on a *grande* scale -
teams would gather at borders and the game was to see how deep into
your opponents territory you could penetrate.

it was a good alternative to armed raiding / combat that dosn't
destroy the "opponents" that your people require to survive (trade,
cattle, mates, social connections, mutual defense ...).  always
sounded like a great way for warrior cultures to blow off energies
that would otherwise develop into killing rage

so what ever happened to the local hurling fad ??? (want to buy some
more gear ... great alternative to rollar hockey)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves