ANST - Belts and their meaning..

donato at mail.stlnet.com donato at mail.stlnet.com
Mon Apr 6 13:27:54 PDT 1998

I'm not sure I completely understand the question.  The red belt of the
squire (and in some kingdoms the spurs and chains) is basically (I believe)
simply an outward sign of a contract between the person and the knight.

Usually the contract involves an agreement that the squire will learn what
the knight has to teach and will strive towards achieving the rank
him/herself, but I have known knights who took squires who had little
interest in the martial arts, and I have known knights who did very little
in the way of actualy training of their squires.

Therefore, the only conclusion that one may draw is that the belt like a
lover's or wedding ring is merely an outward sign of contract and fealty,
the terms of which are strictly between the two and vary wildly from
relationship to relationship.

Just my two cents.

Donato el Lobo