ANST - Sword Facts (Long)

Dennis O'Connor dmoc at primenet.com
Tue Apr 7 20:41:21 PDT 1998

There seems in this thread the implicit assumption, by at
least some parties, that each new King and Queen is
bound by the pledges of the previous King and Queen.

As a bit of interkingdom anthropology, while this may or
may not be true in your fair kingdom of Ansteora, it is
not the tradition in your mother Kingdom of Atenveldt.

This directly impacts the issue as to whether the
Crown or Heirs may have broken an oath or pledge.
If (*if*!) they were never a party to it, as would usually be
the case in Atenveldt, they could not break it.
Instead, they might either renew or set aside such
agreements with no question of honor arising.
The facts as I have read them to date do not present\
evidence that they explicitly renewed the pledge.

As I say, this is the tradition of Atenveldt, a kingdom where
the Crown's Word is as close to Law as the SCA and
mundane law allows. Your kingdom's mileage may vary.
Dennis O'Connor                        dmoc at primenet.com
Vanity Web Page:    http://www.primenet.com/~dmoc/