ANST - Kein's words

Megan & Orm lions at icnet.net
Tue Apr 7 20:57:33 PDT 1998

At 07:44 PM 4/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Unto the Populace of Ansteorra does Duke Kein MacEwan give greetings.
>
>It is with a heavy heart that I take up my pen to answer the charges of
>Baron Orm and Viscountess Megan. First let me state that I have had the
>utmost respect and admiration for Orm and Megan throughout my SCA
>career. They are true Lions.
>
>That is why it saddens me that they have chosen such a public forum to
>discuss the problems that they have. I wish they had simply picked up a
>telephone and discussed the issues with me. Unfortunately, they have
>chosen a public forum to impugn something that I hold sacred. I hold my
>word to be the measure of my honor.  Oath breaking is not a charge that
>I can leave without answering...

Greetings Duke Kein,

We are deeply, deeply grateful for your missive.  Your words were well
spoken and we give them great heed.

We had felt after our experiences in December that you would not converse
with us by phone, and when you did not reply to our letter we believed
ourselves shut out.

When Orm and I decided to post this to the net, it was because we feared
something very unhealthy was happening in Ansteorra, and we were groping for
a way to address it, after failing in other ways. We truly feared that if
the facts as we knew them were not made public, there would be greater
problems later on.

Our notes and memories differ from yours on some points that impacted our
actions, but we can discuss these and find the meaning in them later.
Naturally, our experiences and beliefs were mitigated by lack of information
that dialogue can produce, as probably were yours.  I think that both of our
interpretations of "what happened back there" are sound as we see them, but
likely riddled with misunderstanding.  That means "as we see them" can
change, and we can gain a clearer understanding.  Most of all we believe
that you and we, whether misguided or well guided, have made our decisions
from our unique environments with the future and well being of Ansteorra in
mind.

We would truly welcome the chance to speak with you on the phone, or long
under a tree, and heal all of our hearts, then extend that to the kingdom at
large.
Please let us come together.

With deepest regard,

Baron Orm