ANST - Kein's words

ELYSANDRE ELYSANDRE at aol.com
Tue Apr 7 21:11:07 PDT 1998

I am not a Lion, Nor a member of the Chivalry or of the Royal Family, but I
have been in the SCA for over 16 years and have learned a lot in that time. So
listen if you will or not if you so choose.  I would pose a question to you.
Is a King still a King if he does not wear his crown, Must a Laurel wear her
leaves at all times to be a Laurel?  I think you would have to agree that the
answer is no.  I mourn the loss of the sword as well, but it was only a symbol
of our great Kingdom and the oath that Our Crown and peers have taken to
protect the dream and our populace.  Do not take me wrong, the sword was an
important part of our history and I am very sorry to see it gone, but I do not
think that blaming Kein will bring it back.  We must hold onto the memories we
have of the Sword as we must hold onto the memories of Sir Riccardo.  They
were both important to our Kingdom, they were a major part of what Ansteorra
was, but they were both taken unwillingly from us and we can not bring them
back.  From what I can tell Kein has done everything in his power to set this
matter straight.  I do not think we could ask more of anyone than he has done.
As far as this pledge goes, I think maybe you should question whether it was
really broken.  I understood the pledge (and I may be wrong) to be that IF THE
SWORD WAS RETIRED it would be returned to Megan and Orm.  The sword was stolen
not retired, and thus the pledge became null and void as the sword could never
be retired.  I am sure that if the sword ever surfaces that whoever the Crown
may be at that time will return it to Orm and Megan at that time.  I would ask
that everyone consider the harm the petty bickering is doing to the Kingdom,
when we are mourning the loss of the sword, salt in the wound will not help.
We must rally together to get past this loss.  I hope that some of what I said
will help those that read all these missives.  Orm and Megan I hope that you
will find it in your hearts to forgive Kein as I can not see where he has done
anything wrong.