ANST - Re: SR - Why a Principality?

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Apr 8 05:23:20 PDT 1998

PKieferjr said something that sounded like:
> Thus the reasoning that I had for creating a principality.  I reasoned that if
> such a body of government were created, its purpose would be twofold:  (1) To
> allow TRMs to share the burdon of representation with one or more territorial
> Princes, thus easing the workload and giving more flexibility and capacity for
> attending events, and

There is already an infrastructure in place to help the Crown be in more
than one place at a time.

The Landed and Court Baronies and the Royal Family. This nobility can
be used to confure awards (besides Peerages) unto the populace in the
name of the Crown.

As a matter of fact, if we have a Principality the Coronet will be doing
it in the name of the Crown for a number of the awards.

Honestly I don't know if getting an award from an unknown Crown/Coronet
means as much to me as getting it from a Noble friend. That is of course
for myself and not the opinions of everyone in the Society. I am also
lucky in that I live an a Barony where this is Landed Nobility.

> (2) easing the workload on the beuracracy by allowing
> the further distribution of that workload.  This second reason is currently in
> dispute.

Personally, I argue that the creation of a Principality will cause
*more* work to these individuals. Currently the Regional officers are
little more than glorified paper pushers. (No offense!!)

The Herald's office will have to keep track of more items; they will have
to keep a Principality OP, Principality regalia, Principality awards, etc.

The Chronicler's office will have to produce a newsletter. Although they
can do it at whatever rate they want, most of us would prefer monthly.

The Seneschal's office will be the legal liaison for the Principality.

Etc.

These officers will be responsible for hiring and firing. They will be
responsible for maintaining handbooks and ensuring that people are
obeying them. They will be responsible for more, not less.

The local officers would have now 2 bosses. You under the mistaken
impression that a Principality is autonomous? The Kingdom is still
superior in law, organization, function and tradition. If the
Principality officers do their job right, the locals are buffered from
this, but that is then again more work for the Principality officers.

> As to the matter of where we should draw the boundary line, I would lean
> toward the proposal of including both the Southern and Coastal Regions, with
> the inclusion of some Central Region chapters upon invitation.  However, Sir
> Conor Mac Cinneade's objection to the inclusion of Stargate (for various
> personal reasons) is noted.

Personally, I think that if the Kingdom Seneschal or BoD realize that we
have created a Principality to exclude a certain group, they can either
deny the request or force addition of the group in question.

This was in part pointed out by Richard Fairborne this last weekend when
he stated that inclusion of a group can be done without the consent of
the group. (The example was La Marche Sauvage being forced if Seawinds
joined.)

As well, the creation of a Principality because we don't want So-and-So
is an ugly way to do it. Let's try to be friendly about this folks.

This is not to mention that Southern/Coastal makes an ideal geographicly
appealing Principality.

> As an alternative, the Western Region was a
> consideration, although I have heard that they would prefer not to become a
> principality, and, therefore, must also be taken into consideration.

Actually, the Western Region is very interested. As a whole!

> Previous attempts to plant the seeds of creating a principality were shouted
> down because these ideas came from the top, which was most likely to meet
> resistance from the populace.

Personally I think this was a very bright idea on their part. They have
achieved exactly what they wanted without having to do the dirty work.

> Today, the idea is now coming from a grass
> roots level, which is the fastes way to garner support.  There is your
> indication that the people are ready for such a concept.  Cultivate wisely.

Yes, the seeds were planted (2 or so years ago), fertilized and are now
rapidly growing into fruition.

Anyone heard any rumors on what the previous individuals who thought
this was a good idea feel now? Any bets that it's that they now think
it's a bad idea?

Then again, maybe I'm just cynical.

Personally, I'm going to stop discussions on the net and only do them at
events where those not on the net can listen as well. I'm sure we'll get
tired of hearing the same old thing over and over again.

In service,