ANST - Sword of State

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Wed Apr 8 07:07:34 PDT 1998

I have read words from friends of mine. At first hurt and hurtful, then thoughtful
and forgiving, then finally accepting. There was nobility in all of the postings,
even the first. The nobility of what was percieved as a wronged spirit. There was
the nobility of the defense of friends, and the nobility of a reasoned response
when anger would have been forgiven. The greatest nobility was when all parties
admitted they could be wrong in aspects.

All of this over a hunk of metal.

Now I loved the Ebon Sword. I've held it until my arms ached from the strain of
holding behind the thrones. I swore the oath that bound me to the lands, laws,
and people of Ansteorra on that blade. It touched my shoulders and made me a Peer.
I've born that blade in Great Courts and on the Battlefield and secretly tested
it's swing when nobody was looking.

It's still just a hunk of metal.

What some people have implied but not quite said is that it isn't the object that
is important. My lady's favor isn't a piece of embroidered cloth, it's her smile
when I salute her. The Sword of State is not lost. That piece of metal was only
a focus for the true Sword of State. The Sword resides within the heart of every
Ansteorran who has ever felt pride for his or her Kingdom. For every servant who
has stayed up all night to prepare for an event or donned armor and marched out
to battle in 100 degree heat. For every Ansteorran who has cried unashamed when
something done in Court or on the listfield has touched them.

The recent debate of some of our most shining examples of this kingdom shows the passion,
nobility, and fire that is Ansteorra.

A diamond is just a rock, Ansteorra is just Texas and Oklahoma, the Sword of State
is just a hunk of metal.

Ansteorra is the people who make it so. If the true Sword of State is ever lost
then we can worry.

Yours,

Gunthar Jonsson, Knight of Ansteorra