ANST - belts and their meaning

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 9 10:05:55 PDT 1998

Good Gentles,
     I have read this discussion, and participated in it several
times, and I would like to tell Daniel that he has my permission to
wear a green belt or a red belt without upsetting my life.  I am
squired and apprenticed, and have belts for both, but do not feel
obligated to wear them both all the time, or even most of the time.
Sometimes I will include it in my "ensemble" but it is not the focus
of my life.  I value more the promises I made, and the relationship I
have with these two individuals.
     I can appreciate those of you that are apprenticed, but did not
receive belts from your laurels.  I also think that whatever you wear
is your own choice, not anyone else's.  But I am a little tired of the
complaint that individuals can't wear the belt they want.  They can.
We do not have belt police that give you a fine if you are wearing the
wrong thing.  We do have some socially handicapped members who would
like the job, but I think it is more for us to nurture these people
and encourage more polite behavior than it is for us to destroy
long-standing traditions of the SCA.
     Wear what you want, just take the warnings with a little salt,
and enjoy yourself.

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir