ANST - Belts and their meaning..

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Apr 9 10:37:32 PDT 1998

It is interesting to hear these stories about "forbidden" belts and such.

I have seen people taken aside because a decoration on thier tunic too closely
resembled a Master's baldric. I have also seen non-nobles see how much they can
get away with by making a fillet just BARELY less than the full width or a metal
Laurel wreath with a tiny gap. Once again I think that too many people throw logic
out the window when rules apply. I have no problem with somebody wearing a white
ribbon belt with a nice dress or wearing a circlet to hold on a veil. Especially
when the person is not out to fool anyone with an implied rank. It's when someone
deliberately goes out to imply awards they have not earned is where the problem
lies. Someone wearing a red belt who openly claims to not be a fighter or a squire
but that the belt was a) a gift or b) just goes with the outfit is not a problem.
Sir Pendaran once was questioned by some Dons about the white tippets he wore with
an outfit.

I do like the habit of giving gifts of inspiration and recognition from Master
to student. I also like the award of a badge to show the world that there is
someone responsible for this person. THL Thyra is apprenticed to Mistress Serena
and wears a seed from the Laurel wreath Serena wore at her elevation in a small
tube attached to her Iris. Different strokes...

This is not to imply that I would approve of someone going around wearing a large
pointy Crown and saying "Oh, I'm not Royalty I just like the hat." Once again let's
have some logic in the formula. But let's not trash people when there really is
no harm meant.

YMMV.

Yers,

Gunthar