ANST - Merchants (was Belts and their meaning)

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Thu Apr 9 13:16:52 PDT 1998

Joanna said:

> I have to step in here in defense of merchants.  I have been a merchant
> almost since I joined the SCA about 17 years ago.  Starting out, I just
> threw a blanket on the ground and sold jewelry I had found at garage
> sales.  Now, I have a tent that cost over $1000, and sell mostly new
> merchandise from several sources I have found over the years.  While I
> generally come close to breaking even, I don't make much _profit_ to
> speak of.
>
> I chose to become a merchant because I kept seeing things I thought
> people in the SCA would like the opportunity to own in order to add to
> their enjoyment in playing this game.

<snip of a wonderful defense of SCA merchants from the merchants side
of things>

For those that have been thinking about merchanting at SCA events, you
might want to take a look at this file in the COMMERCE section of my
Stefan's Florilegium:

merchanting-msg   (41K)  8/ 1/96    Merchanting in the SCA.

I will be adding this lady's message to this file. I only wish I had
a merchant like this in my area, who would sell on commission. I often
run across books that I think other SCA folks would like at bargain
prices. But I don't want to spend my time selling them at events and
selling them via the SCA maillists is a no-no. So now I buy the books
only for myself with occasional extra copies as I was getting too
much money tied up in unsold books.

My files are available at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous