ANST - Belts, favors, Associates

ALBAN at delphi.com ALBAN at delphi.com
Thu Apr 9 18:32:02 PDT 1998

Sir Lyonel responded to a post of mine with:
>>I'm more than willing to take members into my household who are
neither my squires/protege's nor my wife's apprentices/protege's. Said
householders would then be entitled to bear my badge or my lady's badge.
Why should such a householder want to call him/herself a squire or
apprentice? These labels are--as Daniel de Lincolia noted--job descriptions,
not titles or honors.<<
I think we're coming up hard against inter-kingdom anthropology and
rampant personal usage here. I know some peers take on squires/proteges
/apprentices (s/p/a) as appropriate, and call their other, um, vassals
"members of the household" or some such term. Others take people on, and
call them s/p/a whether or not these vassals perform as s/p/a's. In some
cases, it's the simplest term to use, the most widely recognized, and covers
a multitude of sins. With My Lady Tegan and me, we've spent a year and a
half trying to come up with an appropriate term for what I am in relation
to her, and the closest one is "Librarian" - but that does not sufficiently
cover what we are, to each other, nor does "member of the household".
I am in fealty to her, not to her husband; I feel that I can properly wear her
badge, but I'm not so sure I could wear their household badge, because that
has overtones of him-and-her-as-coequal-heads (which they are, of course)
whereas I owe her alone fidelity, faithfulness, and the rest of the nine
yards. (Mind you, he likes me and I like him, and there's not a damn thing
I'd ever do to make him unhappy because I do so like him - but he's not my
fealty-taker, she is.)
Also, to me, a "member of the household" could include close friends as
well as those who've sworn fealty. And there are households, of course,
that are not headed by peers. . . "Householder" covers such a wide variety
of things.
It's a complicated thing, this particular terminology. I'm accustomed to
using the s/p/a terms because they've acquired SCA definitions, and
because using those words are convenient. So do many other people. The
only other term that might be usable for "close relationship that covers
s/p/a's who aren't _actually_ s/p/a's" that I've seen used is "associate" -
but that has not acquired the widespread usage that s/p/a have.

I'd said
>As for 4: there's a good word for this. It's called a "favor".
Sir Lyonel responded with:
>>Um, sorry to quibble, but no. It's *not* a favor, not necessarily. I always
put my badge on my squires and men-at-arms, usually on their belts.
<snip>
A favor is a trinket given by an admirer (traditionally a lady) to a
combatant to carry into a tournament as an indication that said combatant
is being "favored" with the admirer's attention. Typically, the giving of
favors was a step in the amorous games twentieth century scholars have
labeled "courtly love."<<
In your case, with your male squires, no. In my case, as my Laurel is
female, as she has and will continue to favor me with her attention, as she
does think of me quite fondly, and since I'm waging cruel and unrelenting
battle against ignorance, I'd call what she gave me a "favor". It beats using
the term "doo-dad", "trinket", "the-wonderful-amber-necklace-Tegan-gave-
me-as-a-sign-of-our-relationship", and other words. Again, it's a personal
thing, and (to me) it's a word that covers a multitude of meanings and
relationships. Admittedly, it's also a word with a technical historical
meaning that's mis-used by many SCA folk - but it's also a word that's
reasonably close to that thing I wear as remembrance of Tegan. (It covers
everything except "amorous games", of course. She's married to a guy so
wonderful he even likes me.)
Good Sir, I would ask you: what term do you use that covers the item you
give your squires and men-at-arms, if it's not always a belt?

>So, no, I don't think I'll be giving any favors to my squires any time in the
>near future. I mean, hey, they're nice guys and all, but we're just not *that*
>close.
To open up a new sub-division of this discussion (and I would like others'
your squires? Do you spend more time training them in martial prowess
and chivalric ideals than most other fighters who come to you for help? Do
you clothe them, feed them, camp with them, spend a lot of time with them
outside of the SCA, consider them more than trainees? Are they "nice guys"
or are they your own "nice guys"? (No, I don't mean to imply anything
salacious here. I'm just curious as to how all of you down in Ansteorra treat
peer-associate relationships. 99% of my time in the SCA has been spent in
Calontir and the Middle, and I occasionally feel the need to expand my
horizons so I don't trip over foreign customs at places like Pennsic. . . )

Alban