ANST - To Become Principalities Or Not

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Sat Apr 11 20:12:11 PDT 1998

Sigrid wrote:

> We have a very strong identity here in the Northern Region.
> I guess I've just never identifed with it. I have travelled
> all over Ansteorra, and not just played close to home, and
> the idea of having Southern friends cut off into another
> Kingdom makes my very sad. Some Northerners act as if
> Steppes and Elfsea were on the edge of the world, much less
> Bjornsborg. I just don't get that.
>
> I will still travel, even if it gets carved up into eight
> pieces, but it's a pity we all won't be Ansteorra.

I sure do understand you there.

My career has taken me all over the known world, and I am happy to say that
I have managed to make good friends on both sides of the Ansteorran border.
 I count many of those friends in your region.  Except for monetary or
career restraints, I also have a difficulty understanding why many choose
to play close to home exclusively.

Lady, please understand me.  My love for Ansteorra is no less strong than
yours.  I just think that fearing that one or more of the putative
principalities may split off is sort of putting the cart before the horse.
I also believe that the probability of it happening in the forseeable
future is pretty remote.  Ansteorra is hardly a kingdom of separatists.
The sort of people who would actually do such a thing would have to be of a
sort very different from those who populate and serve Ansteorra at present.
 If discussions of this sort did come up, the likelyhood is that I woulod
fight it with great passion, unless I judged that the continued
participation of such principality to be untenable.  In such case, the good
of the membership would outweigh my personal feelings.  But, I just can't
imagine any realistic situation that would cause me to make that judgment.

					With respect,

					Jeremy Scurlock