Apprentice Expectations (Was Re: ANST - Merchants)

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Sun Apr 12 20:15:59 PDT 1998

My apprentice, Joanna Montgomery, said:
>No offense taken.  I thank you for making me feel the need to state my
>opinions.  If nobody tweaked me on occasion, I might be content to sit
>quietly rather than make my thoughts known.  Controversy can be an
>opportunity for those involved to enlighten one another.  Criticism,
>provided it is constructive, can be a _good_ thing.  I try to take it
>gracefully.  If I don't, Mistress Gunnora should probably throttle me
>with my green belt!  :<)

Actually, while being able to accept constructive criticism is certainly a
desired trait, I have to say I'd be far ready to chastize an apprentice for
"sitting quietly instead of making your trhoughts known".  (Who Gunnora?
That quiet Laurel who never says anything and would never speak out?  ;-)

One of the traits we look for in a Peer of this Realm is leadership -- and
a good leader should take a possible misunderstanding and talk about it
with the involved parties to clear up the issues and avoid problems, while
maintaining a calm, businesslike tone and approaching the issue as an
opportunity for growth rather than as a personal attack that must be
avenged at all costs.

If more people would take the time to speak up in a calm, mature fashion
when they feel an injustice is done, or a misunderstanding has been
perpetuated, think of howmuch better the world would be!

Good work, Joanna!  As always, it is a pleasure having you as an
apprentice.  As I've long known, I don't need to teach you to have "the
bearing of a Peer" because *that* you have already!

A proud Laurel,

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)