ANST - Awards and such

Burke McCrory bmccrory at oktax.state.ok.us
Wed Apr 15 14:44:43 PDT 1998

At 03:06 PM 4/15/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Vicki Marsh wrote:
>>
>> Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace said:
>>
>> >Okay, I surrender--what's a motley sash for?  For that matter, what was
>> >Madonnas given for?
>> >

>> Burke McCrory said:
>> >Ok, If my old and decrepit memory work right.  These are all Ansteorra
>> Principality awards.
>>
>> Gilded thorn was for service to the prince/princess.
>> Aristotle Discipuli was for service to the Principality
>> Madonnas of Ansteorra was for work with the children.
>> Pillars was for service to the Principality by a household.
>>

>> My memory is just as old a decrepit as yours, Burke, but I thought that
the Aristotle Discipuli was for excellence in the Sciences.  I remember
that Brenda the Potter, Baron Vargskol, and Leonitas (now called Lodevicio)
were in it.  Lodevicio may have gone by another name before Leonitas, but I
don't remember it.  You know, the Artist formerly called (!!!!!!).

>Yes.  And also Don Robert Simon Fraser had the Aristotlis Discipuli.  He
>told me it was
>for excellence in the Sciences, and the Gilden Thorn was for excellence
>in the Arts.

I know that is not true because I remember when Sir Frederick got his
Gilded Thorn at the last Principality court and it was for service.

>(Time was, the A&S office was two offices, and we had endless debates
>about what was
>an art and what a science.  This led to silly rules of thumb like, "if
>you drop it
>and it breaks, it's an art", or "if you can use it for something, it's a
>science.")
>
>- Galen of Bristol

In Service to the Dream

Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald