ANST - History of a gesture - true/false?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Apr 15 23:29:01 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, SCOTT A WAGGONER
<maynedelacroix at juno.com> wrote:
> The mentioned " salute to your enemy" the English bowmen
> used is the famous two finger salute still in use in
> England today. It was to show the emeny that you still had
> your fingers with witch to draw a bow.

As I mentioned in my message earlier today, that theory also
does not appear to be correct.  The earliest usage cited was
Rabelais, who was 1) French, poor sod and 2) somewhat after
Agincourt.

Daniel "Strew on her roses, roses / And never a spray of
yew" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.