ANST - P, K words = Radical Suggestion

James Crouchet jtc at io.com
Thu Apr 16 02:07:56 PDT 1998

On 14 Apr 98, John Ruble wrote:

> Each region will undoubtedly diverge greatly from any "boilerplate
> template" you try to hand them.  It is in the very nature of the
> individualists who make up the Average SCAdian.  If such a document
> were handed to me, I would naturally try to phrase it and structure
> it along the lines of the medieval Icelandic and Norse laws.  I've
> no doubt Don Robyn and Master Da'ud would come up with two
> completely different versions, one English based and one Arabic.
> You hand someone a template and tell them to add to it, and that is
> what they will do.

I predict that any such approach would be fairly disastrous. On
consideration one may realize that K/P law is, in large part, a set
of rules for operating a MODERN organization, such as the kingdom of
Ansteorra, in the modern world. Such rules and the structures they
outline must be clear to the modern people who make up our
membership. It is great to throw in some period "flavor", but
not where it impaires our ability to operate.

Believe me, writing that law will not be a fun task. To anyone who
will be writing it I have this advice:

Keep it short. Don't say anything twice. Don't say anything that does
not absolutely have to be said. Keep it short. Keep it Short. Keep it
short.

Dore