ANST - Belts and their meaning

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Apr 17 15:57:39 PDT 1998

On 17 Apr 98 at 17:44, Lord Larkin O'Kane wrote:

> ..  I was just a little put out at the last event I attended when I
> passed a member of the shire that put on the event and was asked
> what I was doing. I replied that I was going to get water to help
> with the cleanup and asked if he would like to help. He replied
> "No."

well, consider that you did "ask"  ... when a person is asked a
question, asked a person usually has a binary yes/no choice (or that
elusive and nebulous "in-between" that becomes problematic and
maddening ... g).  just because they are SCA (belted or not) one
shoudl not assume that the answer will always be a automatic "yes"

there could be any number of valid reasons for a "no" ... perhaps a
non-obvious medical condition that would prevent heavy exertion that
they did not wish to go into ... or having finished other labors and
taking a desired and deserved rest ... or just being in a off-mood at
the moment ... all valid reasons.

point is, i feel that one should never ask a question if you can't
accept all possible answers equally. and it's always important to
remember that many people may have reasons for their choices that they
choose not to go into or are not apparent or relevent at the moment.

over the years and in many differing local's, have run into too many
folk that assume that a belt (red or otherwise) or the lack there-of
somehow removes a persons right to say no to those around them.

'wolf

... The meek shall inherit the Earth
... And they will become food for the Morlocks