ANST - Birthday Dirge

Evan Paul Langlinais skwid at utdallas.edu
Mon Apr 20 07:04:02 PDT 1998

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Beth Zimmerman wrote:
> Help!!  I'm looking for the verses to the Birthday Dirge.
> I'm hoping one of you kind gentels either has them or knows
> them.

Ha!  I knew there was some reason I kept those handy.

Enjoy, everybody!

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
               THE SCA HAPPY BIRTHDAY SONG
               tune: "Volga Boatmen"
Chorus:
        Happy Birthday! (UHH!) Happy Birthday! (UHH!)
        Death and gloom and black despair
        People dying everywhere
        Happy Birthday! (UHH!) Happy Birthday! (UHH!)

1 Now you are the age you are               17 Fear and gloom and darkness
						but
  Your demise cannot be far                    no one found out YOU KNOW WHAT

2 May the candles on your cake              18 You're a period cook, its true
  burn like cities in your wake                ask the beetles in the stew

3 Burn the Castle and storm the keep        19 Now your jail-bait days are
						done
  Kill the Women but SAVE THE SHEEP!           let's go out and have some
						fun!

4 May your deeds with sheep and yaks        20 You must marry very soon
  equal those with sword and axe               baby's due the next full moon

5 Your servants steal, your wife's untrue   21 Were I sitting in your shoes
  Your children plot to murder you             I'd go out and sing the blues

6 They stole your gold, your sword, your house  22 Tho you're turning 29
  They stole your sheep, but not your spouse       age to you is like fine
						wine

7 so you're 29 again                        23 Now you've lived another year
  don't tell lies to your good friend          age to you is like stale beer

8 So another year has passed                24 Long ago your hair turned grey
  don't look now they're gaining fast!         now it's falling out, they say

9 Black Death has just struck your town    25 It's your birthday never fear
   you yourself feel quite run-down           You'll be dead this time next
                                                   year

10 We brought linen, white as cloud         26 See the wrinkles on your face
   Now we'll sit and sew your shroud!          Like the pattern of fine lace

11 So far death you have bypassed           27 Indigestion's what you get
   Don't look back it's gaining fast           From the enemies you 'et

12 I'm a leper, can't you see               28 This one lesson you must learn
   Have a birthday kiss from me                FIRST you pillage, THEN you
						burn

13 Burn, then rape by firelight             29 While you eat your birthday
						stew
   Add -romance- to life tonight!              We will sack a town for you

14 Birthdays come but once a year,          30 Death will come before the
						dawn
   Marking time as Death draws near            Now's the time to party on!

15 Now you've lived another year,           31 People starving on the earth,
   And your death is drawing near.             Go ahead, eat your dessert,

16 Raise your cup of bitter cheer,          32 Rape the horses while they
                                               sleep,
   Make the barman eat his ear                 See the women wail and weep

"BOO!"--The Man in Gray                     http://www.utdallas.edu/~skwid/