ANST - Martial Arts/Sport

Gregory R. Gagnon cian at ghg.net
Tue Apr 21 18:53:27 PDT 1998

A thread change from the survey to the discussion it has started.

IMHO, IMNSHO, ;-} Insert as needed

I think that this activity can be classified according to the way you play it.
The participant is either a sportsman or a martial artist.  That classification
can vary depending upon what aspect of the game to which one is referring.  I am
a martial artist in the way I view training, usually.  It is a serious activity
requiring concentration and dedication.  I am a sportsman when I decide what is
enough armor.  I have a chain hauberk, steel coat of plates, gauntlets and
articulalted elboows and knees.  You may see me wear all of it if I am at a demo
or just feeling feisty.  Armor was worn because you expected to get hit _and_
wanted to hit them afterwards.  That won't make you popular in Our game.

Other activities can be viewed the same way (this classification is actually the
same one used in the transition  days of IPSC [International Practical Shooting
Competition]).  I have known sport karateka and martial artist shooters.  You
are not likely to use sword and shield to defend yoursaelf from an assault.  You
are not likely to use a katana to defend yourself either.  What you can use is a
mind and body trained to respond to your will when facing danger.  A martial art
comes from the heart and shapes your body and mind.

The practical skills one can carry from other martial activities include
agility, dexterity/sinisterity, focus, strength and endurance of both mind and
body.  What you (or at least I) must be cautious of is bringing  to much of the
martial mindset to the competition.  I like to win and compete, but to lose at
this is not to die, probably.  The act of putting on armor and the feel of it is
a tangible reminder that this has rules.  I intentionally have a dispassionate
fencing style and avoid the emotional aspects of melee to keep this in mind.
Having to keep that in mind slows me down, but I am happy for the tradeoff.  If
I brought the same intensity to this game as I have when necessary to others
there would be no option of best out of three.  Fighting after being stabbed
does not teach you the grace to yield the fight to your opponent.  I much prefer
our game, but am more serious about some others.

Cian