ANST - History of Wishing Wells

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Fri Apr 24 12:02:13 PDT 1998

On 24 Apr 98 at 12:19, John Ruble wrote:

> This is a good start. I would add "saints" to your list.  I remember
> reading about more than one saint associated with healing wells.

actually, most of those well's had pagan dieties associated with
them prior to the spread of christianity ... was a case of "out the
with old, in with the new".  much more difficult to destroy a place
of power in the hearts and minds of a people, but then can be
re-defined to your puposes by your organizations propaganda office.

> And don't forget Mimir's well, from who's waters Odin drank to gain
> wisdom. The price? One eye...

not to mention hanging in a tree for nine days ... (there's that 3x3
thing again ...).  pay particular attention to the connection with
"suspension" and "transformation" (Odin, Jesus, Elusian Mysteries,
the Sun Dance, ...)

or in a similar story, Finn and the Salmon of Knowledge ... such
"gifts" always come at a significant price.  for more of these, from
more cultures, check out a quarterly name of Parabola (a journal
dedicated to myth and tradition ... have been a subscriber for almost
20 years)

'wolf

... - Boingo, Pedestrian Wolves