ANST - Barred Visors WAS: Positive to counter the negative

Gregory R. Gagnon cian at ghg.net
Sun Apr 26 18:07:25 PDT 1998

I would aver (after checking Stone to make sure I had a chance of being correct)
that they are armets.  The next event I am reasonably certain to be at is
Squire's.  I will be judging dance and (perhaps) be one of the more combative
obstacles as well.  If anyone expresses an interest I will be happy to look for
the other pictures and bring them all as well.  One that I particularly enjoyed
(but am not sure was mine) was a barred breastplate made to be worn over a
padded gambeson while fighting tournaments with wooden swords.

I do not recall having seen a barred grill on any type of helmet other than an
armet (or similar close helm) or one intended for any purpose other than the
tournament with wooden sword.  The armet imposes its own chronological
limitations.

-Cian
|Cool!  What kind of helms?  Bascinets?  Spangenhelms?  I still
|suspect that barred grills on most kinds of helms aren't authentic.
|
|Which is not to say they should be banned, I fight in behind
|a barred faceplate now, but not for much longer.

|- Galen