ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

leigh- at primenet.com leigh- at primenet.com
Thu Apr 30 11:39:45 PDT 1998

While I am hesitant to butt into this thread since I do not live in
Ansteorra I think that there is one serious misconception being thrown into
this discussion... and that is the one that somehow links wanting to have
alcohol or drink at events with being an alcoholic.

I am not an alcoholic, never have been, never will be. I don't even drink
much if any at events. However, that said, whether a site is dry or wet
_does_ become a determining factor in whether or not we attend anything
that is a multi-day event. I live with a brewer, we associate with brewers,
we share our cordials etc. with our friends and make new ones with our
sharing and tasting. No minors are served alcohol in our camp, no one who
is obviously drunk is served alcohol in our camp,(indeed, those who are
obviously drunk when they show up are escorted back to their own camps or
into the protection of someone not drunk.) That said, the reality is that
brewing is not an inexpensive hobby (nor is the SCA) and if we cannot
combine the two hobbies then we will (and do) play elsewhere..... as does
the rest of our household.

So please, I beg you, do not assume that all of us who avoid dry sites are
rampant drunks who cannot conceive of having a good time unless we are
falling down drunk and can't remember anything the next morning through the
hangover induced fog. To make such insinuations is to be intolerant of
those whose idea of fun at an event differs from one's own. Dry sites may
or may not kill the SCA but intolerance certainly will kill it without fail.