ANST - Traveling INN

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Thu Apr 2 08:52:54 PST 1998

>Smoked chicken is a good idea. Actually there are a lot of period foods that
>are very tasty that a small tavern can produce without too much effort.
>
>> Cheesecake and chocolate aer, sadly, right out.  Fresh fruit is always
>> good, though.
>
>Fruit, tarts, turnovers, custards, candied peel, honey candy, gingerbread,
>dried fruit, fruit leather, cakes, cookies, etc... That's just the sweet
>stuff.

There are many meat stew recipes available and they can be served in
bread bowls (hard breads). You can make the stews thick and the bread
bowls crusty so there is little leakage. There are lots of meat pie
recipes that are good served cold. They can be adapted to individual hand
pies so they are easier to eat.  There are many period recipes already
redacted to modern recipe formats that are good, inexpensive and easy to
cook over camp stoves. I do it all the time and have run a couple of
taverns.

Clarissa