ANST - Sword Facts (Long)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Apr 7 06:41:26 PDT 1998

Good Morning,

  Although I know my station, realize that my word is meaningless in
  such matters and will probably regret it, I have to voice my opinion
  due to the nature of this missive posted to the Ansteorran list for
  which I am responsible.

  Unlike His Excellency Sir Lyonel, I will comment on a few items within
  your missive.

Megan & Orm said something that sounded like:
> Having stated the facts, we will now note what deeply troubles us about them.

  To be honest, I do not view these items as facts since there is too much
  emotion and venom rolled into them. I view facts as being devoid of
  feeling and agreed to by all parties who view them as being accurate and
  complete.

> The Lions of Ansteorra, are named to defend The Dream.  What are the
> elements of that dream?

  This is the same dream that you have just smashed for a portion of the
  populace of this fair Kingdom. By airing your dirty laundry and hurt
  feelings, you have shown that the Dream contains pettiness, distrust
  and loathing. These are not the things that *my* Dream is made of.

  My Dream contains the things the His Excellency Edwin showed when he
  stated that the Sword was but a symbol and the Crown was the true
  force behind these things. It is this type of Chivarly and Forgiveness
  that I hold dear to my heart. This should have been when the issue was
  finalized.

> What we hope to achieve by expressing these facts and corresponding concerns
> is this: Illumination of the populace, and a change in the way we do
> business within the kingdom court.

  You wish to have a public lynching and satisfaction for you feel you
  have been wronged. This is not justice nor illumination of the issue,
  but it is revenge that you seek.

  Even I have sought illumination of issues on this list to the point
  that people question my motives, but I have never sought revenge nor
  to harm anyone. As well, I have shown a great tolerence for borish and
  unchivalric behavior. You have already exceeded that tolerence.

  There are proper channels for complaint within this Kingdom and
  within this Society. If you choose to ignore proper etiquette and
  channels, please do not do so in an area that I am responsible for.
  As His Excellency Sir Lyonel pointed out, if you truly wish to have
  justice and satisfaction, please call for a Court of Chivalry.

  The Ansteorran mailing list is for the populace of this, and other
  Kingdoms, to use in order to discuss things of relevance to our Kingdom
  and its populace.

  It is *NOT* a place for people to seek revenge.

  This behavior will not be allowed to continue.

  Please do not torture my lady by making me moderate this list due to
  your unchivalric behavior. If I must, I will filter out all discussion
  of this topic from the list.

> We have come, over the
> years, and especially now, to know that the greatest threats to the Dream
> are not weak, unwise kings, petty dukes, or even a greedy BOD.

  When those people who are to uphold the Dream are themselves being
  petty, childish and unchivalric it is even a worse blow to the Kingdom,
  the Society and the Dream.

  I do not wish to trivialize the loss of the Sword of State nor your
  attachment to the things you hold dear. Please do not be disillusioned
  into thinking that making two wrongs will make things right and that
  it will satisfy your desire for revenge.

  I have Cc'ed this missive to His Grace Kein, Their Royal Majesties,
  and the Kingdom Seneschal since, although they are members of the
  Ansteorran list, I think this important enough that it be brought
  directly to their attention.

  The reason I have done this is that you have already said you have
  approached them and I wish to have my voice heard on your behavior. I
  do not know if any of these individuals have read the missive that you
  posted to the list or not.  If any needs a copy of it, I will gladly
  forward it to them as soon as humanly possible for their review.

  This ends here and now!

In Service to the Kingdom and the Dream,
Ansteorran List Maintainer

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "And I ain't in it for the power
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   And I ain't in it for my health