ANST - Sword Facts (Long)

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Tue Apr 7 07:07:37 PDT 1998

Galen here!

Pug Bainter wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
>   Although I know my station, realize that my word is meaningless in
>   such matters and will probably regret it, I have to voice my opinion
>   due to the nature of this missive posted to the Ansteorran list for
>   which I am responsible.

Like I keep telling you, Pug, we all get to have opinions, and we're
all entitled to express them, and have them accorded respect according
to their content, not according to our rank.

>   Unlike His Excellency Sir Lyonel, I will comment on a few items within
>   your missive.
>
> Megan & Orm said something that sounded like:
> > Having stated the facts, we will now note what deeply troubles us about them.
>
>   To be honest, I do not view these items as facts since there is too much
>   emotion and venom rolled into them. I view facts as being devoid of
>   feeling and agreed to by all parties who view them as being accurate and
>   complete.

Have you ever seen testimony in a courtroom?  While Orm & Megan's
account was certain their point of view, the matters presented as
fact were completely consistent with my understanding of fact, as
told to me by many witnesses, and by my own presence in the meeting
of the Lions & Royal Family.  Let me say that again.  What they
said was "fact", really was fact.  What they labelled as opinion,
really was opinion.

> > The Lions of Ansteorra, are named to defend The Dream.  What are the
> > elements of that dream?
>
>   This is the same dream that you have just smashed for a portion of the
>   populace of this fair Kingdom. By airing your dirty laundry and hurt
>   feelings, you have shown that the Dream contains pettiness, distrust
>   and loathing. These are not the things that *my* Dream is made of.

But Pug, you have been in the forefront, on this list, of pointing out
when things are done badly.  No Pelicans in court?  Bad fighting in
Crown?  Poor behavior by peers?  All this stuff gets discussed on-line
and has been discussed on the Ansteorra list.

>   My Dream contains the things the His Excellency Edwin showed when he
>   stated that the Sword was but a symbol and the Crown was the true
>   force behind these things. It is this type of Chivarly and Forgiveness
>   that I hold dear to my heart. This should have been when the issue was
>   finalized.

What happened to Kein could have happened to anyone.  Check again,
Orm and Megan aren't calling for bad things to happen to Kein.

> > What we hope to achieve by expressing these facts and corresponding concerns
> > is this: Illumination of the populace, and a change in the way we do
> > business within the kingdom court.
>
>   You wish to have a public lynching and satisfaction for you feel you
>   have been wronged. This is not justice nor illumination of the issue,
>   but it is revenge that you seek.

You've just looked two people in the eye (figuratively speaking) and
said that they don't intend what they say they intend.  What's your
basis for that.  I've known these two for many years, and I've never
known them to have hidden agendas.  I should think that their posting
would be evidence that they are quite straightforward when they speak.

>   Even I have sought illumination of issues on this list to the point
>   that people question my motives, but I have never sought revenge nor
>   to harm anyone. As well, I have shown a great tolerence for borish and
>   unchivalric behavior. You have already exceeded that tolerence.
>
>   There are proper channels for complaint within this Kingdom and
>   within this Society. If you choose to ignore proper etiquette and
>   channels, please do not do so in an area that I am responsible for.
>   As His Excellency Sir Lyonel pointed out, if you truly wish to have
>   justice and satisfaction, please call for a Court of Chivalry.

Y'all are simply assigning motives to their words, and then saying
they've taken the wrong course to achieve their motives.  Their purpose
is to inform.  We've often discussed that to preserve what's good in
Ansteorra, we must point out good things to be emulated, and bad
things to be avoided.  That's what they're trying to do.

As to "proper channels" Pug, I suggest that both you and Sir Lyonel
check kingdom law for any reference to "Court of Chivalry".  You
won't find it there.

>   The Ansteorran mailing list is for the populace of this, and other
>   Kingdoms, to use in order to discuss things of relevance to our Kingdom
>   and its populace.

I submit that the preservation of two-decade-old traditions is
relevant to our Kingdom.

>   It is *NOT* a place for people to seek revenge.

Quite so.  They aren't seeking revenge.

>   This behavior will not be allowed to continue.
>
>   Please do not torture my lady by making me moderate this list due to
>   your unchivalric behavior. If I must, I will filter out all discussion
>   of this topic from the list.
>
> > We have come, over the
> > years, and especially now, to know that the greatest threats to the Dream
> > are not weak, unwise kings, petty dukes, or even a greedy BOD.
>
>   When those people who are to uphold the Dream are themselves being
>   petty, childish and unchivalric it is even a worse blow to the Kingdom,
>   the Society and the Dream.

Is it petty to point out when someone has erred?  Shall we stop that
altogether?  What then will happen to all our ideals?

- Galen of Bristol