ANST - Sword Facts (Long)

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Tue Apr 7 07:29:42 PDT 1998

Paul Mitchell said something that sounded like:
>>   Although I know my station, realize that my word is meaningless in
>>   such matters and will probably regret it, I have to voice my opinion
>>   due to the nature of this missive posted to the Ansteorran list for
>>   which I am responsible.
> Like I keep telling you, Pug, we all get to have opinions, and we're
> all entitled to express them, and have them accorded respect according
> to their content, not according to our rank.

Maybe someday this will sink into my thick skull.

> Let me say that again.  What they said was "fact", really was fact.
> What they labelled as opinion, really was opinion.

Thank you very much for this reassurance. Since I can not nor did I view
the occurances, I can not know that they are fact. I still feel that
they are tainted due to the emphasis that was place on different items
within the missive.

>>   This is the same dream that you have just smashed for a portion of the
>>   populace of this fair Kingdom. By airing your dirty laundry and hurt
>>   feelings, you have shown that the Dream contains pettiness, distrust
>>   and loathing. These are not the things that *my* Dream is made of.
> But Pug, you have been in the forefront, on this list, of pointing out
> when things are done badly.  No Pelicans in court?  Bad fighting in
> Crown?  Poor behavior by peers?  All this stuff gets discussed on-line
> and has been discussed on the Ansteorra list.

As I pointed out, I have sought illumination of issues that are ugly. In
none of these have I sought revenge because *I* was wronged.

> What happened to Kein could have happened to anyone.  Check again,
> Orm and Megan aren't calling for bad things to happen to Kein.

Although you state that they did not call for bad things to happen to
Kein, they did ask for those involved to rethink their pledgebreaking. I
quote:

  "If these words upset those who have urged these choices, we hope you
  will reconsider what you hoped to achieve from this pledgebreaking."

I view this as the motive involved through this public humiliation of
those involved.

Although the sharing and telling of stories, both good and bad, are a
key in keeping history and not repeat errors in the past. They should
not be insulting nor make calls for change in the individuals involved
due to a personal wrong to them.

> You've just looked two people in the eye (figuratively speaking) and
> said that they don't intend what they say they intend.

I agree. That is what I did.

> As to "proper channels" Pug, I suggest that both you and Sir Lyonel
> check kingdom law for any reference to "Court of Chivalry".  You
> won't find it there.

As Timo already pointed out, they are listed specificially in Arcile VII.,
Sec 3, Subsection 2.

Ciao,