ANST - Kein's words

Keith Ewing keandbc at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 7 17:44:07 PDT 1998

Unto the Populace of Ansteorra does Duke Kein MacEwan give greetings.

It is with a heavy heart that I take up my pen to answer the charges of
Baron Orm and Viscountess Megan. First let me state that I have had the
utmost respect and admiration for Orm and Megan throughout my SCA
career. They are true Lions.

That is why it saddens me that they have chosen such a public forum to
discuss the problems that they have. I wish they had simply picked up a
telephone and discussed the issues with me. Unfortunately, they have
chosen a public forum to impugn something that I hold sacred. I hold my
word to be the measure of my honor.  Oath breaking is not a charge that
I can leave without answering.

In the letter that our first and third Lion wrote to the list they
stated several facts. I find that I must either add to or explain or
reword some of these facts.

Fact # 5 "Orm requested and it was granted that upon its retirement
that sword would be returned to our hands."
Kein’s Facts: In facts #1 through #4 it is established that this
happened during Duke Lloyd’s first reign. According to the "Rulers"
page on the Ansteorran website, Lloyd and Jocelyn’s first reign
occurred between November 18th, 1979 and June 21st, 1980. During that
time I spent some time as a senior at Midwest City High school then had
my 18th birthday while having one of the great adventures of my life in
Kotzebue Alaska. I had not heard of the SCA.

Fact #7  (paraphrased)  A pledge is received from King Sigmund the
First.
Kein’s Facts:  According to the "Rulers" page on the Ansteorran website
Sigmund and Sieglinda’s first reign occurred between January 31st, 1981
and July 18th, 1981. During that time I was a freshman living in the
dorms at the University of Oklahoma. I was exposed once briefly to the
SCA, but I was much too busy chasing girls, drinking beer, and playing
AD&D to view it as anything but a curiousity.

I’ve given you a little insight on my personal history to establish
that, while I do not dispute the facts to this point as given , there
is no way that I could be personally aware of them.

Fact #9 "Upon the loss of the Great Sword of State at the hands of Kien
(sic), he expressed to Megan and Orm that he did not intend to uphold
the covenant between the Lions and the Crown, and that he and Inman had
decided that Inman would bring forth the new sword."
Kein’s Facts: The Sword of State was stolen from the cab of a locked
pick up truck in the front of my house on a well lighted street. The
thief or thieves smashed the driver side window and stole the sword as
well as several of my own personal items.
Kein’s opinion: I have always read that a victim must not accept
responsibility for the actions of a criminal.  It was not my fault that
a criminal chose to break the law and my window. This being so, I
cannot accept that the loss of the sword was "at the hands of Kien
(sic)". This is a realization that it took a while to come to me. I did
blame myself for quite a while.

More of Kein’s Facts : The first people that I tried to contact upon
the loss of the Sword were…. ORM AND MEGAN.  I contacted three people
that I knew who were prominent in the North to obtain a good phone
number for them. They all gave me the same number which had been
disconnected. I was at a loss.  I contacted another Lion whose opinion
I valued, Duke Inman. He proposed a replacement sword constructed by
his own hand and I agreed. A week or two later at a Wiesenfieur event,
I saw Orm and Megan. It was with great regret that I informed them of
the theft of the Sword. I had heard many times the tale of how the
Sword was Megan’s bride price, and that Orm had given the sword to King
Lloyd many years ago.  It was then that Megan informed me that she had
received a promise from a King in the past that the sword would be
returned to her. This was the FIRST time I’d heard of it, despite being
in the SCA since 1985, and sitting a reign four years before.

Kein’s Opinion: I feel that there is a lot more left out of "Fact #9"
than is put in. How could I tell Megan that I "did not intend to uphold
the covenant" when I was not aware that it existed?

Fact #10: "Megan, Orm, and many other Lions called Kien (sic), upset
and distressed, to make sure he was well informed as to the Pledge, and
the ramifications of breaking it."

Kein’s Facts: I heard from many Lions, by no means all, nor even a
majority. Each had something different to say. Many were not aware of
any Pledge.  Most felt that a new sword should be crafted by Lions.
Many said that they would support their King in whatever decision he
made.

Fact #11: "Not only did Kien (sic), full knowing, elect to break the
pledge; he at onetime told Orm and Megan that he wanted to handle an
exchange of swords very quietly at coronation, thus, sweeping the
matter under the rug.   He indicated clearly to Megan and Orm that it
was more important to him to get ANY sword into the hand of his heir
than to keep faith with the Lions of Ansteorra."

Kein’s Facts: I did indeed tell Orm and Megan that I felt that it was
important to get a sword into the hand of my heir. I never at any time
compared that desire to anything else.  I never at any time told Orm
and Megan that I had any desire to exchange swords quietly. Quickly,
yes. Quietly, no.

Kein’s Opinions: The facts that the Viscountess and the Baron have been
stating have been shifting somewhat from firm historical fact to
impassioned  accusations filled with buzzwords.  Here is where the two
Lions blatantly state as "Fact" that I am an oathbreaker.  They then
follow this with a statement that I know is untrue. I do not accuse
them of falsehood. I have known them for too long. I feel that they
have probably misunderstood something that I did say.

Fact #12: "A meeting was held that was to have been between only the
Lions and the Crown, but which some members of the royal family
insisted the royal family must attend.  At the meeting, many of the
royal family, some knowing the full extent of the Pledge, and some
ignorant of it, urged the Crown Prince (not the Crown, not the Lions)
to make a choice of where the next sword would come from--before he
could be informed fully about the Pledge, and before he could  hear
discussion on other options from the Lions.  In fact, Megan had brought
2 candidates to the meeting for consideration, offered by 1) a barony,
and 2) a gentleman of the realm, but they were spurned without
being seen, all while the king and queen sat mute."

Kein’s Facts: No members of the Royal Family insisted on attending. One
suggested it and I thought that it was a good idea. No one can
successfully "insist" upon an Ansteorran King.  I don’t remember
sitting  mute. And I  am certain that Alisha did not. In fact, it was
Orm and Megan who expressed their consent with the arrangement made at
that meeting and expressed NO discontent at that most auspicious time
when something might have been done about it.

Kein’s Opinions: This meeting was my attempt at fulfilling the pledge
that I had not made. This is where I got all the Lions together to hear
their voice. I also heard the voices of the former Kings, Queens,
Princes and Princesses of Ansteorra. There are thirty four Lions of
Ansteorra. At that time, one was dead, and three had moved out of
Kingdom. TEN are members of the Royal Family. I go back now and look at
the wording of the pledge that the first three Lions received from King
Sigmund. It says, "pledge that  the Sword of State should be the
especial charge of the Lions of Ansteorra, and that when the time came
that a new sword was needed all the Lions together would CHOOSE __and
__  BRING FORTH TOGETHER unto the King a new sword."
I don’t see where this pledge says that the Lions ALONE have this
responsibility.
Here’s a nit-picky side note.  The first and third Lion talk about the
Crown Prince making a decision "before he could be informed fully about
the Pledge".  Shouldn’t he have been informed of this Pledge during his
first Reign?

 Fact #13: The end result of the meeting was that the Lions as a body
WERE NOT ALLOWED TO CHOOSE a new Sword of State, though we will
participate in bringing it forth together, subject to some terms that
not all of us agree with.  Only half of the pledge was honored, and
that, subject to restrictions.

Kein’s Facts: The Lions as a body were consulted. The Crown Prince
chose. The Lions agreed. (At least at the time.) The Crown Prince
became King one week later. Any decision that I had made at that time
could have been changed by him one week later. I saw no point in
changing what he decided because it was fully within his rights to
change it back. Besides, I agreed with him.

Kein’s Opinions: The rest of the letter that Orm and Megan posted is
filled with their opinions to which they are entitled.  I will leave it
as it stands except for two small passages. At one point they talk
about the "oath that has stood for seventeen years". Well, obviously,
it HASN’T stood. A large percentage of the Lions and the Royal Family
were unaware of it.  They close their missive with, "The greatest
threat is ignorance." Hmm... I agree with that.

Now I want to talk about pledges… oaths… promises.  I never make a
promise lightly.  I have never given anyone the right to make a promise
for me. I feel strongly that every adult is responsible for his or her
own actions. If my father had sworn to his neighbor that neither he nor
any of his children would cross his property line, then, while I was a
child, I would be bound by that oath, because he was responsible for
me. But  when I achieved adulthood, I would expect the neighbor to ask
for the same oath from me personally.  If he did not ask me, then I
would not be an oathbreaker if I crossed the property line.  My father
cannot swear an oath for me. So you see, I never felt honor bound to
keep this Pledge that Orm and Megan informed me about. I did and do
feel a strong responsibility to tradition, so I tried to accommodate
the Pledge that Sigmund and Finn had made four years before I joined
the society, but the word of one King is not binding on another. If a
King or a Queen wants their rules to survive their Reign, they must
write it down in Kingdom Law or receive an Oath from their Heirs.  Even
Kingdom Law can be changed by the next Crown.

Tradition did not cover the situation I found myself in. The Sword of
State had never been stolen before. I listened carefully to all the
advise and counsel that I received, then I made decisions to the best
of my ability. Ultimately, it was taken out of my hands when my reign
ended.  Were the decisions that I made good? Opinions vary. Probably
not. Doesn’t matter. I was the King.  Maybe Jean-Richard and Gladwen’s
decisions will be better. If not, then Barn and Kat can take a crack at
it. Whatever decisions are made, I will abide by them, because they are
made by the Crown and I have sworn an Oath to support the Crown.

In closing, I hope that no one will let this letter reflect negatively
towards Viscountess Megan and Baron Orm . They were both very hurt by
the loss of the Sword as was I. The Sword was special to all
Ansteorrans, but no two were so bound up in the early history of the
Sword and of our Kingdom. I think that, especially Megan, is angered by
the loss. She looked for someone to use her sharp spear on, but the
thieves were not available. Someday, perhaps, the thieves will be
available. If they survive my wrath, I will hand over what is left to
Viscountess Megan.

Respectfully submitted on the 7th day of April, 1998

Kein MacEwan