ANST - Actions, Deeds, and memories

SCOTT A WAGGONER maynedelacroix at juno.com
Wed Apr 8 21:25:17 PDT 1998

On Wed, 8 Apr 1998 15:05:33 -0500 Vicki Marsh <zarazina at flash.net>
writes:

[SOME SNIPPED or paraphrased in ( ) ]

>This month marks 21 years of my SCA experience, with the first 16 or
>so being a fringee', a person who worked in the background, held a few
>offices, got burned out, tried to get my personal life in order, etc.
>It also marks my 41st birthday.

> I watched as those who wore the "brass hats" came in, stood at the
>front of the courts, mumbled things the rest of us couldn't hear, and
>left speaking of traditions and history.  The true nobles I knew
>stayed after the event to work in the kitchen, to clean, or they ran
>events, held classes, and continue to contribute.  The traditions and
>history I remember are based on this attitude of being noble through
>service to others.
>
>I watched as friends became peers, then quit producing the lovely art
>or teaching the skills they had acquired.  I even heard one of them
>complain the he didn't get the respect that he deserved anymore.
>Maybe if he didn't show up drunk and obnoxious all the time, it might
>have helped.  The true peers continue to grow.
>
>The best Laurels...(share)... knowledge freely with others.
>The best of the Chivalry...(teach,volunteer,research)... their craft.
>The best of the Pelicans find they can always serve, ...  Many of
>those still active just do a little of everything.
>
>Life moves quickly in the SCA and in real life.  If you don't
>contribute actively, and don't fulfill the obligations of an office
>that you have taken, then don't be surprised if no one remembers or
>respects you.

>After attending the last wonderful Crown Tournament, and then
>attending a deliciously fun  Fool's Revel in Elfsea, I marvel at the
>scope, the depth, and the breadth of what we have become.  The next
>question is...where do we go from here?
>
>In Service to the Society,
>
>Zara Zina
>
>"Life is Good in Elfsea"

I have only been in the SCA for 8 years, but I have seen a bit of the
things you describe above.  There are good and bad in all the Peerages,
as well as the populous as a whole.  Fortunately (so far) the good as
outweighed the bad, though I am reminded of a saying I heard a while ago.

If you put a spoonful of soup in a bucket of sewage, you get a bucket of
sewage.
If you put a spoonful of sewage in a bucket of soup, you get a bucket of
sewage.

For a lot of people, you can ruin the "taste" of something even though
only a small percentage of it is bad.  I had a good friend give up the
SCA entirely when a couple of people wrongly accused him of something he
didn't do.  Even though he was proved right, he was so disgusted with the
SCA that he decided to fill his time with other hobbies. I have not had
any bad experiences like that. The worst I have had is getting PO'd at
someone for rhinohiding. There is still enough good people in the SCA to
make me stay around.
As for the question where do we go from here? That suggests we have
reached the top.  As you have stated already, the REAL peers keep getting
better, the normal people are following suit.  When everyone is a knight,
laurel, and pelican, that's when I will wonder what's next, because even
then, there is still somewhere higher to go...

Ramble more later.....

Mayne de la Croix --- The original MiB
Gate's Edge Canton, Barony of  Stargate,  Ansteorra