ANST - Belts and their meaning..

Lisa A. May xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu
Thu Apr 9 08:29:42 PDT 1998

At 08:46 AM 4/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>I often tell people that presuming to wear the regalia of
>a knight, without having earned that rank, is a Bad Thing.
>But being willing to be mistaken for a squire is your own
>problem.  So wear a red belt if you want, but beware.
>
>- Galen of Bristol

I, too, believe that wearing the regalia of a member of the chivalry
without earning that honor is a Bad Thing, but I do not hesitate to wear a
red belt when it goes with my outfit (some dresses just *need* a red
belt!).  I also have absolutely no problem explaining to someone that no, I
am not a squire, but doesn't the belt look just lovely with my outfit?  No
one has yet been boorish enough to protest further, and should they do so,
I will politely explain that the red belt is not reserved and that I choose
to wear it for sartorial reasons.  I doubt seriously whether anyone will
pursue the matter if one is just politely matter of fact about it.  If they
do, the discourtesy is on their part, not mine.

Margaret

Lisa A. May
Texas Tech School of Law
xylm1 at ttacs.ttu.edu

"And do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily,
then eat and drink as friends."
W. Shakespeare