ANST - Merchants (was Belts and their meaning)

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Fri Apr 10 06:57:54 PDT 1998

> Another "mere merchant," Joanna, said:
,,,
> fortunate to be able to be generous when I want to.  (It's my stuff to
> give away, and I often do!)
> reason I started handling toys and candy is to have something to give the
> children to make their events memorable.  (Yes, I said _give_.  Although
...etc.

Well, I have to concur.  When my children were younger and more adorable, I
would frequently find some merchant giving them some small trinket that just
made their day.  They still have most of those trinkets too.  My lady wife
hasn't lost that adorable quality, and I occasionally find some merchant
giving *her* some small trinket, which makes her day and apparently makes
the merchant's day too.  (She still has most of them...)

I've never had a bad thing to say about merchants as a whole.  Merchanting
is an honorable and respectable profession, and I've often used it for a
disgu... em, I've often pursued it when traveling to the Frankish lands.

While within our medieval framework it is difficult to give them the credit
they are due for adding *so much* to our Game for so little gain,  I would
like to offer all those merchants out there reading this a very hearty
VIVAT! and my thanks.

-Ulf
*** Veni, Vidi, Sushi - I came, I saw, next time I bring my own lunch ***