ANST - Belts, favors, Associates

Darryl Arrington strmridr at bunt.com
Fri Apr 10 08:35:49 PDT 1998

Good Gentles (aka "Hey Folks"),

I'm originally an Ansteorran, now living in Drachenwald.  That makes me an
Ansteorran.  Displaced a bit, but still an Ansteorran.  I sing our battle songs at
the revels here (which gall [or Gaul] the Hel out of some people), but I sing them
yet.  So, my two cents worth:

Belts - Meaning:    I pledge my works/fealty/honor/loyality to my
Master/Knight/Master (pick your order of preference) that I do my absolute best not
to ever embarass my Master/Knight/Master, or embarass the Kingdom.  I shall do my
absolute "human-possibly-worth"'s to do my absolute best to correctly represent my
Master/Knight/Master/Kingdom in whatever endeavor that I undertake, with the
recognition that ANYTHING I DO is a direct reflection of what my
Master/Knight/Master/Kingdom has TAUGHT me (this is the critical part, folks.  Any
student/squire/protegee worth having will hold to this ideal.  I know this well,
representing my Master in another Kingdom.  He has a good reputation over here,
from Gentles that were formally in Ansteorra.)  This is a high standard to live up
to.  It is NOT a badge of honor to flaunt in front of ANYONE.  Someone has taken
the time to teach you knowledge that is special.  It is something to be cherished,
not something to be lorded over anyone (or else you're missing the whole danged
point!!)  YOU should be teaching EVERYTHING YOU KNOW, as a squire/protogee/student,
as recognition of the lost arts that the many have had to painstakingly
recreate/relearn and YOU are the benefactor of.  Pay Heed!

Favors:  Meaning -   Symbols of someone's "favor"; that is to say, I caught the eye
of someone on said day, that I was a fair, honorable, and just fighter (not
necessarily "awesome"; let that distinction end here.)  I caught their eye, and may
their recognition of my worthiness continue to FOREVER INSPIRE MY HONOR, JUST, AND
FAIRNESS ON THE FIELD.  A favor is not a shield, you can't say "I won't call that -
it hit Mistress Seamschecher's favor."   It is a symbol of what "someone" saw on a
good day (good = you were the picture of chivalry that day, not necessarily wearing
a white belt, but the picture nonetheless.)

Associates:  Meaning -   OK, either you're a member of a household or not.  If
you've been invited (and accepted), then you're a member. And in the OLD WAYS (and
traditions), you've just agreeded to defend the house in all "debts, public and
private."  You've just sold your life/soul, so don't take this lightly!!!  Be
danged certain who's household you've joined:  if you can't support the
patriarch/matriarch in what ever they say, then you haven't done your research, and
have not done your homework.  The household that I've joined:  I have not ALWAYS
agreeded with the patriarch, but that has been between the patriarch and myself,
PRIVATELY!  I will never argue a difference of opinion in front of the household.
I owe the patriarch that; I agreed to join his household, and I accepted the
consequences of that action (and to note:  It has NEVER failed me.  I am either
wise or very lucky...)  I may have my disagreements, but I join, and support, the
household, for it's advancement, and the Kingdom's advancement.  Our household's
ideal is the advancement of the Kingdom of Ansteorra.  How can I lose???  I yield
to a greater experience, a higher knowledge.  How can you argue with that?
Unless,. of course, you have unrefutable evidence...

Household Members:  See above for the ideal...

So, in closing, I will be home in August 1999 (in the common era).  I dare those of
you to remember my name of this time when I put you all to right, and those of you
who take exception can discuss this with me in August 1999.  You can take me aside
and attempt to take me to task at that time.  Be ye warned - I take my beliefs (SCA
and otherwise) very seriously.  If you take exception to what I've said, I will
defend it.  As they found at Lindesfarne and "Blackpool" ("Dublin", for those of
you who don't speak Gaelic) , you will find me one heck of an opponent, simply from
my attitude...

And that's the whole poop, folks.  Answer at your peril...

Thorgrim
A humble apprentice to a MASTER of The Western Region (Does Anyone {besides Duke
Inman} remember his name?)