ANST - Awards and such

Karen Evans tyrca at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 14 11:26:52 PDT 1998

I suggest we word our draft laws such that future Princes and Princesses
are discouraged from creating extra awards.  All we need do is add a
passage saying something like:

The Kingdom of Ansteorra is generous in recognition of the endeavors of
its
people in all fields save one:  service to the principality.  For that
reason, the principality of XYZXYZXYZ elects to award service to the
principality by creating companions to the Order of the Golden Pride [or
whatever], the sole award order of the principality.

my deux sous

lo vostre por vos servir
Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
<<<<<<<<

Good Sir Lyonel,
     I agree in part with your thesis.  I do not see SCA awards as
"merit badges" that we earn like the Boy Scouts.  I do not see that
one award depends on another.  And I am irritated when any kind of
polling circle withholds anything on the grounds of this sort of excuse.
     The other thing I do not like is the attitude that since a person
has been recognized as a peer, they are no longer eligible for other
awards.  When we lived in Drachenwald, Sir Thorgierr was very active
in the fighting community, and when the Prince was ready to award him
with the Principality fighting award, the Silver Dragon, he was
somewhat apologetic since it was "less than a peerage."  I think that
any fighting award is simply an acknowledgment of one's abilities,
regardless of status.
     I agree, though that the Principality doesn't need a new award
with every Prince.  Perhaps a statute could be written that new awards
and orders need to be approved by the Crown before they can be awarded
in a Principality Court.
     I would not like to see our new Principalities limited because of
Heraldic paperwork.  I don't like to see new awards and orders created
to feed the "cookie-hunters", but that sort of limit can be
counter-productive.  I have lived in areas with limited awards, and
the attitude develops that "Why should I try, they don't really like
(pick one:  fighters, artisans) here.  they only like service.
     Ok, this is long enough, that I have lost myself.  Have I made
any sense?

Tyrca

==
Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir