ANST - Reciting The Law (Long)

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Wed Apr 15 00:24:12 PDT 1998

Amra said:
>Although there is one component of the old Icelandic system
>that could be neat. Too bad our modern memories aren't
>always up to the task....

Actually, this can be done.  You would need to "versify" sections of the
kingdom law, to be memorized ahead of time and then recited at appropriate
events and courts.  Our entire corpus of kingdom law is not so extensive
that this could not be done, even given modern memory habits.

Way back in AS XXI, Tournaments Illuminated no. 78 published an excellent
example of how this could be done, authored by Duke Sigfried
vonHoflichkeit, entitled "The Rules of the Lists"

This was originally delivered orally by the Duke as Bard of the
Principality of the Mists during the Invocation of the Fall Coronet Tourney
in AS XX.  Below I reproduce the text of the poem - with the original Law
that each verse explains shown afterwards in square brackets.  What was
performed was only the poem, not the explanations.  As a sociological note,
it's interesting to see what has changed in the rules since AS XX!

PRELUDE
Now these are the Rules of our combat,
And they govern it both near and far
And those who obey them are welcome;
But those who deny them are barred.

As iron becomes steel in the forging,
By the Rules all our Kingdoms are wrought:
For the SCA's strength is the fighters,
And without it the fighting means naught.

(1) When you go with your friends into battle,
Ye do it by choice and design,
And so ye shall not fault another,
If harm should confound thee and thine.

[Each fighter, recognizing the possibilities of physical injury to himself
or herself in such combat, shall assume unto himself or herself all risk
and liability for harm suffered by means of such combat.]

(2) Though no one would doubt thy intentions,
The future may not be benign,
And so, before coming to combat,
Each fighter a waiver shall sign.

[No fighter shall participate in combat unless and until he or she have
executed a written waiver of liability and presented same to the Sovereign
or his or her representative.]

(3) If any, who still remain minors,
By fighting and combat be led,
By law they cannot sign their Waivers -
Their parents must sign them instead.

[Every combatant who has not yet attained the age of majority in his or her
state of residence and in the state in which the event is held shall
present to the Sovereign of his or her representative a written
waiver-of-liability form signed by his or her parent or guardian prior to
commencement of combat by such combatant.]

(4) Lists Right is the right of the Monarch.
For each who would enter his name,
The Sovereign may choose to refuse him,
And none may deny Him the same.

[All combatants must be presented to, and must be acceptable to, the
Sovereign or his or her representative.]

(5) All fighters who enter the tourney,
Whatever their rank or degree,
Shall be chivalrous in all their conduct,
And knightly in all but decree.

[Combatants shall behave in a knightly and chivalrous manner.]

(6) To judge of a foe's blow against you,
The weapons and armor are real,
And in doubt, ye should yield to your foeman,
Lest your conduct be cause for appeal.

[Fighters are expected to behave as though the weapons used in combat are
real, and "injuries" sustained will be judged accordingly.  In judging
"injuries," all fighters are presumed to be fully armored unless otherwise
stated.]

(7) No fighter shall enter the combat,
Who hath not a consort to reign
Beside him, should he become victor,
Although he need not speak her name.
No fighter shall enter the combat,
Who hath not a consort to reign
Beside her, should she become victor,
Although she need not speak his name.

[Each gentleman fighting in the Lists for the Crown shall have a lady to
receive the Consort's Crown should he be successful in combat, though her
name need not be revealed except to the Sovereign or his or her
representative, if kingdom law so requires, until her Crown is secure.
Each lady fighting in the Lists for the Crown shall have a gantleman to
receive the Consort's Crown should she be successful in combat, though his
name need not be revealed except to the Sovereign or his or her
representative, if kingdom law so requires, until his Crown is secure.]

(8) In all that ye do in the combat,
In armor, and weapons, and skill,
Ye must follow the Marshallate standards,
And be goverened by each Kingdom's will.

[All combatants shall adhere to the Marshallate Armor and Weapons standards
of the Society for Creative Anachronism, Inc., and of the Kingdom in which
the event takes place.]

(9) The right to reject any weapon
>From use without hindrance or claim,
Is the right of the Monarch or Marshall,
And none may deny them the same.

[The Sovereign or his or her representative may bar any weapon from use
upon the combat field.]

(10) A weapon may be used in battle
If all who would face it agree,
Unless when the Marshalls review it,
Its banishment they should decree.

[Any weapons mutually acceptable to the combatants in a fight may be used
on the field of battle subject to the provisions of Rule 9.]

(11) If a weapon be banned by the Marshall,
An appeal to the Crown may yet win,
But a Court muss pass jusgement thereafter,
Before it be used once again.

[Where the combatants mutually desire to use any weapon previously barred
by the Sovereign's representative, they may present their cause to the
Sovereign.  The Sovereign shall, after receiving the advice of his or her
representative, pass judgement on the use of the barred weapon for a
particular fight.  Prior to the use of the barred weapon at a subsequent
event, it shall be presented to a Court of Chivalry for determination of
its safety and use.]

(12) If ye like not the weapon against you,
And its safety you fully deny,
The opponent must then change his weapon,
Or, without fault, the challenge must die.

[Any combatant may without dishonor or penalty reject any challenge, or the
use of any particular weapon by his or her opponent, should he or she deem
the weapon unusually dangerous.]

(13) The sword and the dagger you cherish,
Unlike tourney weapons are real.
So carry them not into combat:
*And seven times never draw steel!*

[No tournament weapons shall be made of metal and no metal shall be drawn
in an offensive manner at any Society event.]

(14) If thy shield ye would bear as a weapon,
Declare it ye must to thy foe,
And the Monarch or Marshall shall judge it,
Before ye may strike the first blow.

[If a shield is to be used as a weapon, the shield becomes subject to
weapons restrictions and must be approved by the Sovereign or the
Sovereign's representative.]

(15) Ye must not use a weapon for thrusting,
Unless to this end it was made,
And if your opponent reject it,
Have done! And *strike blows* with your blade.

[There shall be no thrusting except with weapons specifically designed for
thrusting, subject to the provisions of Rule 9.]

(16) Ye may not grasp a blade to impede it.
If ye drop your sword, stop and rearm.
If ye slip, then call Hold! to recover,
Lest an unguarded blow do ye harm.

[A bladed weapon may not be grasped as a means of stopping a blow.  If a
weapon is broken or dropped on the field, the combat shall stop while the
fighter is rearmed.  If the fighter slips, the combat shall stop while he
or she recovers.]

(17) Ye may not, in the Lists of a tourney
Throw aught at your foe on the field,
Nor bear any weapon for throwing,
Lest by your mistakes ye must yield.

[No projectile weapons shall be allowed and no weapons shall be thrown
within the Lists of a Tourney.  All other uses of such weapons are subject
to the provisions of Rule 9.]

AFTERWORD
Because of His Right, and His Stature,
Because he is King over all,
In all that the Rules may leave open,
The Will of the Monarch is Law!

Now these are the rules of our combat,
And many and mighty are they.
But the head and the heart of the Rules,
And the sword and the shield is -- OBEY!

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)