ANST - History of a gesture - true/false?

SCOTT A WAGGONER maynedelacroix at juno.com
Wed Apr 15 20:41:25 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:47:01 -0500 Joe Wolf <WolfJ at bisys.com> writes:
>This was forwarded to me by a friend... I have no idea if this is true
>or an 'urban myth!'  Seems plausible enough to be valid... would
>anyone have any firm research to confirm/deny this?
>
>Lord Manfred Wolf
>Barony of the StarGate
>
>+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>
>> History of "the finger""Giving the Bird"

SNIP

I can't believe I am actually responding to this but I have to put in my
two cents.
Actually associating the "finger" with  "pluck yew" or something that
sounds like that is a recent association, probably some seventh grader
wanting to both verbally and visually insult someone.

My grandfather told me that in his childhood (i.e. the 20's) giving the
finger meant basically to give yourself a solo rectal probe. In other
words "stick it up your a**".  Basically the gist is the same. A crudely
insulting term.

The mentioned " salute to your enemy" the English bowmen used is the
famous two finger salute still in use in England today. It was to show
the emeny that you still had your fingers with witch to draw a bow.  The
"pluck yew" story, while funny is not quite correct.

Mayne de la Croix --- Stargate Offender
Gate's Edge Canton, Barony of  Stargate,  Ansteorra