ANST - Reciting The Law (Long)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Apr 15 22:16:58 PDT 1998

On Wed, 15 Apr 1998, Gunnora Hallakarva <gunnora at bga.com>
wrote:
> You would need to "versify" sections of the kingdom law,
> to be memorized ahead of time and then recited at
> appropriate events and courts.

Oooh!  Oooh!  Can I play?

The Crown is the King plus the Queen --
The Sovereign and Consort, I mean --
   They're equal and joint
   the two we anoint
Whether victor's Alisha or Kean.

(I.1.a: "The rights, duties, and powers of the Crown of
Ansteorra rest equally and jointly with the Sovereign
[winner of Crown Tourney] and Consort [the Sovereign's
Consort]."  The King does not rule over the Queen, or vice
versa, except that the Sovereign has certain martial duties
in Corpora.)

The word of the Crown is the law --
But saying that, there is a flaw:
    It's trumped by the BoD,
    And mundane law, by God,
Tho it stick in the Sovereign's craw.

(I.1.b: "The Word of the Crown, written or spoken, is law,
subject to the Corpora and Bylaws of the Society for
Creative Anachronism, Inc.".  The latter mention the primacy
of real law and give authority to make and change rules to
the Board of Directors of the SCA Inc.)

Harder than it looks!  Trying to keep the exact meaning in a
limerick is difficult.  I see why the first try had long
lines and fewer rhymes.

Daniel "Sir, I admit your gen'ral rule / That every poet is
a fool; / But you yourself may serve to show it, / That
every fool is not a poet" de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com; if that fail, tmcd at austin.ibm.com
is work address.  tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.