ANST - Reciting The Law (Long)

John Ruble jruble at urocor.com
Thu Apr 16 09:14:41 PDT 1998

Daniel de Lincoln wrote:
> The Crown is the King plus the Queen --
> The Sovereign and Consort, I mean --
>    They're equal and joint
>    the two we anoint
> Whether victor's Alisha or Kean.
>
> (I.1.a: "The rights, duties, and powers of the Crown of
> Ansteorra rest equally and jointly with the Sovereign
> [winner of Crown Tourney] and Consort [the Sovereign's
> Consort]."  The King does not rule over the Queen, or vice
> versa, except that the Sovereign has certain martial duties
> in Corpora.)

And I say:

Daniel de Lincoln further wrote:
> The word of the Crown is the law --
> But saying that, there is a flaw:
>     It's trumped by the BoD,
>     And mundane law, by God,
> Tho it stick in the Sovereign's craw.
>
> (I.1.b: "The Word of the Crown, written or spoken, is law,
> subject to the Corpora and Bylaws of the Society for
> Creative Anachronism, Inc.".  The latter mention the primacy
> of real law and give authority to make and change rules to
> the Board of Directors of the SCA Inc.)

Hold our Laws the highest.
Heed our king, all thingmen,
But the BOD Almighty
Better still to hark to.

Alright, so as far as drokkvaett goes, it has a few flaws.  Do you know how
hard it is to toggle back and forth between writing Norse court poetry and
Visual Basic programs without introducing flaws in one or the other?  If my
boss sees some of the programming code I just wrote...

-Ulf