ANST - Belts and their meaning

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at tddtx.fujitsu.com
Fri Apr 17 07:42:13 PDT 1998

> I respectfully submit that no one takes a red belt because he
> or she wants to serve as packhorse and gofer for the entire
> kingdom.  The red belt signifies one's desire to be a knight.
> Othar swore personal fealty To His Knight, Hrabia William
> Miesko.  He also has responsibilities to myself, our unborn
> child, other members of his family and a few others.  The
> rest of the world does not have a legitimate claim to his
> time, and should therefore politely *ask* him for help.
> The truth is, if Othar sees that someone needs assistance,
> he's probably going to jump right in without waiting to be
> asked.
>
> I guess the point I'm trying to make here is, if you would
> not order a _knight_ around, why on earth would you treat
> a knight-in-training that way?

Ly. Devnet has made some good observations and raised
some
interesting points and I'm surprised that no one has
responded
more.

I feel the main issue here is not a squire's duty (I'll
get in
to that later) but a simple question of courtesy. To
demand someone
around because they are percieved as a servant of some
sort is
rude and loutish. It is courteous to request
assistance. Even
someone who's job it is to be a servant (waitress,
bellhop, etc...)
should be treated with courtesy and thanked for a job
well done.
A true King should never have to command but merely to
suggest.

Othar, and a great many other members of the populace,
is one who
willingly assists others for the joy of helping, much
like his
knight. Helping others is a joy and should be given
willingly.

In similar situations when I could not do the job
myself I have
ASKED a nearby gentleman (never even glanced at the
belt) to do it
for me because I couldn't at the time and then THANKED
them for doing
it. Everybody wins.

> Yes, service to the kingdom and its populace is a "knightly
> virtue," and one I hope to see in everyone who wears the
> white belt.

Squires are looked upon as people willing to make the
extra effort.
If I see a squire my first thought is there is someone
who has made
the committment and not just here for the beer. Yes, I
will tend to
look to a squire to assist with a job and so will most
other members
of the populace. The same as when there is trouble on
site most people
look to a knight to fix it. It is part of our burden
and our joy.

A red belt is a symbol of service. Both to a particular
Master and to
the chivalric ideals. One of those ideals is assisting
those that need
it. Most of the Chivalry I know will be the first to
lend a hand because
that is what makes us what we are. Anyone who feels the
need to command
people around to make them feel more important needs a
sincere soul-check.

Now on the other side. Could it be the lout in question
simply was
mis-interpeted? Oft times I say something that sounds
good in my head and
comes out totally wrong.

It is often best to believe that what could be
interpeted as rudeness to
mere stupidity or mis-interpetation.

> Lady Devnet macShiehie           Dina Dreifuerst

Yers,

Gunthar