ANST - Mythology question

j'lynn yeates jyeates at bga.com
Sat Apr 18 10:12:48 PDT 1998

On 17 Apr 98 at 21:02, SCOTT A WAGGONER wrote:

> >Didn't Cerebrus, the dog that guarded the Greek Underworld have 2
> > heads?

> > No, three.  Hydra had nine.  Don't know of any two-headed
> > critters (otherthan the pushmepullyou of Doctor Doolittle fame),
> > but the Roman God Janus had two faces.

ever notice the recurrent symbol of the trinary (3) in early myth and
legends of our ancestors (and the associated 9 ... 3x3) ...
especially in the keltoi and associated religious lineages (symbol
sets tend to jump cultural boundaries with ease ...).

you can't turn a page in the early irish annals without running into
3 (or 3x3), a trend that was carried through the christian lineages.
consider where the revered Tolkien got his sources ... and along
with them 3 and 9 (3x3).

'wolf
... i do so love symbol