ANST - Martial Arts

Tim Lozos dentim at myriad.net
Mon Apr 20 16:15:50 PDT 1998

Greetings!

Wow! Drake posted to the net!  (It's one of the seven signs, I tell ya...)

>1.   Did the fighter excell in chivalric/rapier combat due to prior training
>in stance, balance, footwork, striking another human, etc.. OR does the
>inborn physicallity and   mindset of ANY person who might engage in a
>traditional martial art lead to excellence in our martial art?

Probably a bit of both, at least with most people whom I've talked with
about Martial arts say that the physical aspects may be different but carry
over. I think the mental aspects of any sport that trains you to focus is
more important than the physical.

>2.  Can we "officially" label what we do a martial art in the modern sense?

Sure, why not? Our forefathers did a "Martial Art" in the middle ages, with
rules and prizes etc etc....the same (more or less) as we do now. Call it
what you will, I enjoy it alot more that the Judo tourneys that I did in the
80's.

>3.   What are the most valuable items, both mental and physical, a martial
>artist can  bring with him/her when starting an SCA fighting career?

A sense of "center", not balance mind you but being aware of your body and
your opponents.  Also if you were involved in a heavy contact or grappling
martial art, the sense of fighting an opponent(a 'mano-a-mano' ideal) helps
alot.

>4.   Doesn't it seem odd that a lot of die-hard martial artists seem to move
>away from their traditional martial arts and devote most, if not all, of their
>training time to our Chivalric/Rapier fighting?  Why might that be?

Dont know about that. I was out of both my violent pastimes for several
years (due to injury) before I picked up heavy fighting.

In answer to the previous question about our backgrounds......

>SCA fighting style and rank(if any)

Heavy-Centurion/squire........light- hopeless listbait

>Mundane martial arts training( style, rank, #years, etc)

Judo about 8 yrs. Hockey about 9yrs.

>any job related training or experience (military,police,boucer)

delivered pizza for Dominos :)

If I was to pick any one thing that helps my heavy fighting, it would be my
hockey background. Balance and a good rough hitting game carry over very
well.  I still want to try fighting on skates someday. (any takers???????)

>Alaric Drake
>Baron of Bonwicke
>(and PREVIOUS practitioner of Tae Kwon Do, Shito-Ryu, Danzan Ryu Jiu-Jutsu,
>Brazilian Jiu-Jutsu, Kenpo, Jeet Kune Do, blah blah blah blah.....)

Timo
previous practitioner of hockey, Judo, You do, Oh no Do, Do minos' Do,
Kendoll-po,  Shoot Me Do, and Do raymefasolati Do.....