ANST - SCA equestrian

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 22 10:17:21 PDT 1998

Kendall Johnson wrote:
> I am currently writing a research paper on horses and it was suggested that
> I write over sca equestrian events, etc.  Unfortunately, I have never had
> the privilege of seeing such a competition.  Could someone possibly give me
> a few sources that I might use?  (I don't want you to do the actual
> research, I just need some ideas.  Sources up here are fairly limited.)
>
> Ariann
> Shire of Adlersruhe

I am not sure what you are looking for. One easily obtained source is this
file in the ANIMALS section of my Stefan's Florilegium:

horses-msg        (63K)  4/22/98    Medieval horses. Horses in the SCA.

This file contains some message describing equestrian activities and rules
in several kingdoms as well as some referances to things like period saddles
and horse breeds.

An older version of this file is available at the website:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Or I would be happy to send you the latest version by email in either Word
or text format.

Another source that might be useful is the HMSO book on period horse gear. I
don't remember the title off the top of my head, though.

Stefan li Rous
stefan at texas.net