ANST - Positive to counter the negative

Paul Mitchell pmitchel at flash.net
Sat Apr 25 15:57:35 PDT 1998

Gregory R. Gagnon wrote:

> |Yeah, right.  Next I suppose you're going to tell me that bar grills
> |are period.
> |
> |- Galen
> Now that you mention it, I have a neat picture of two mounted combatants in full
> plate with Barred visors on their helms.  The picture is from Hans Burgkmair's
> "Turnier-Buch" and places the date of the pictured combat in "Anno 1482, 18 Tag
> des Augsts" and the place as (sic) Haidelburg.  They are fighting with wooden
> clubs attached by a chain to their breast plates.  I have seen similar pictures
> elsewhere but this was both near at hand, and an original source.
>
> Cian

Cool!  What kind of helms?  Bascinets?  Spangenhelms?  I still
suspect that barred grills on most kinds of helms aren't authentic.

Which is not to say they should be banned, I fight in behind
a barred faceplate now, but not for much longer.

- Galen
he of the late-12th-Century persona,
so 1482 is as far out of my period as
FDR and Ike would be if I were doing