ANST - Need some costuming advice

Mark.S Harris rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com
Wed Apr 29 04:16:19 PDT 1998

AuroraeB wrote:

I don't think I have much that applies directly to what is wanted in SCA
A&S competitions, but you might look at the following files in my Stefan's
Florilegium:

> Infrastructure:  What materials and techniques should I use for linings,
> bonings, etc. to make the garment hang and fit properly?  Even with proper
> corsetry, the garment still needs a canvas or twill lining for shape.  Are
> steel bonings preferred?

In the CLOTHING section:
corsets-msg       (66K)  4/13/98    Tudor and Elizabethian corsets. making them.
hoops-msg         (23K)  6/27/97    Period and SCA hoopskirts. Hoop sources.

> Closures:  This garment laces up.  Can I reinforce the lacings with grommets?
> Do they need to be covered with stitching?  I have tried to make corset/bodice
> lacings without grommets before, and even with things like twill tape and
> heavy stitching, they still tear and rip.  And, what practical things can I
> substitute?  Maybe a panel allowing some ease in lacing?

fasteners-msg     (67K) 11/21/97    Clothing fasteners, buttons, lacings.

> I guess, I need to know the practical techniques for garment re-creation in
> the SCA.  This is going to be both a show and wearable piece.  So, good, sound
> construction is essential.  I need tips on how to get both practical and
> period techniques.

You might want to look at some of the files in the TEXTILE ARTS section such as:

beadwork-msg      (35K)  8/28/97    Beadwork on clothing. Bead types, sources.
fabric-SCA-msg    (18K) 10/ 3/94    Finding period-like fabric in the SCA.
sewing-msg        (41K)  9/ 3/97    Sewing ideas and stitches.
velvet-msg        (45K)  9/ 3/97    Medieval velvets. Modern substitutions.

> Does anybody have a guideline list or other source for costuming specifics?
> Does anybody have a list of definite "no-no's"?  How about a basic list of
> requirements for a good competition piece?

My files can be found at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Hope this helps get you started.

Stefan li Rous