ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

AuroraeB AuroraeB at aol.com
Wed Apr 29 17:56:44 PDT 1998

I've never been much of a drinker,

So, whether or not a site is "wet" is low on the list of criteria it must meet
for me to do an event there.  But, there are societal trends that make it
difficult for people to drink and be merry without at least a bit of concern.

I am also involved in a social organization that puts on dances and other
social events.  In order to get around the "alcohol thing" we have to do some
creative things.  In order to release ourselves from any kind of liability, we
either hire a bartending service, or make it B.Y.O.B.

B.Y.O.B. is basically the way drinking in the SCA works.  From what I have
been told by the other group's legal advisory team, that puts the burden of
liability upon the person who brings the alcohol.  But, that still doesn't
prevent us from lawsuit if a person gets drunk at one of our events and gets
harmed or harms someone.  (We have a standard release of responsibility on the
back of tickets sold to try to cover this).

Many sites WILL NOT rent to a group that wishes to allow alcohol.  It is too
much of a legal burden to bear.  Many facilities are prevented from allowing
alcohol as a clause of their liability insurance.  Some require a group to
take out special event liability insurance policies to cover the alcohol
issue, they aren't cheap....... At my wedding, we could not even have a
champagne toast without 1.) paying for the services of a professional
bartender, and 2.) taking out an event alcohol liability policy with the
hotel's insurance carrier.

We live in a society where drinking is becoming taboo.  Because of a few bad
apples who get drunk and engage in irresponsible behavior.  The vast majority
of drinkers are perfectly responsible.  But, all it takes is one accident or
act of misjudgement to spoil it.

And, the fact that we have minors getting ahold of alcohol at events opens yet
another big 'ole can of legal worms............

The "Perfect World" scenario is where revelers of legal age drink responsibly.
But we do not live in a perfect world.......

I would like to know what kinds of insurance coverage would be required to
operate a permanant "wet" site.  I bet it would be expensive.  But, it could
be covered by brewers and others who wish to have a site remain wet having
fundraisers.

I personally do not have a problem with people drinking and even getting
falling down drunk.  I do, have a problem with people who think it is okay to
break the rules at dry sites.  That kind of selfish "ME ME ME" behavior is
what gets us banned from sites and so there are even fewer sites we are
welcome at.

This is a whole other issue, but there is negative stereotyping of the SCA out
there.  My Uncle is the Sheriff of a TX county where there is SCA activity.  I
had to educate him as he had heard some stories that made me feel
uncomfortable with being identified with such a group.  I had to tell him that
the vast majority of SCA-ers are NOT the ones he comes in contact with in a
negative connotation.  This kind of stuff also gets around and makes us not
welcome at sites.

The best solution would to deal sternly and swiftly with those who drink
irresponsibly or allow minors to drink.  I had attended an event where a teen
had sneaked into peoples' campsites and stolen alcohol.  The person he was
with didn't want to take the heat 'cause the kid was "sneaking it".  Well,
somebody has to take the blame.... Personally, I do not feel all that great
when I see a teen kid so drunk he is twitching on the ground with the "dry-
heaves". And it was made into a joke!

This is the kind of antics that make drinking in the SCA such a problem.....

So, we know what the problems are, what are we going to do about it?

Tracy R.
Aurorae B.