ANST - YOU'VE BEEN rejected

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Wed Apr 29 20:04:46 PDT 1998

Rick Wynne said something that sounded like:
> When a solution is found, perhaps it could be forwarded to the other
> kingdom mailing lists.

There are several methods.

The current of which is to have the mailing list software filter based
on content. It will then forward the message on to the list admin for
approval or rejection. This was already being done for such items as
list administation commands (subscribe, unsubscribe, etc) as well as
known spew from either misconfigured sites (CC:Mail) or vacation programs.

In the case of this particular MMF scheme, it always has David's name in
it, so I just parse for it and have it listed as taboo. Other taboo
items are any message with the word 'scam' in it, 'MONEY' or 3 or more
'$' in the subject, the US Postal phone number in the message, etc. (They
use the US Postal number to tell people to call to verify that it's
"legitimate".)

In addition, I am working on installing the latest sendmail beta, which
has several different types of filtering based on known domains, IP
addresses and users that spam. Other methods can be found at such sites
as:

http://spam.abuse.net/spam/tools/
http://www.sendmail.org/antispam.html

Feel free to pass on these message and/or sites to whomever you feel can
make use of them.

Ciao,

--
Phelim "Pug" Gervase  |  "The problem's plain to see
Barony of Bryn Gwlad  |   Too much technology."