ANST - Dry sites will annoy the chemically dependent

Dennis and/or Dory Grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 30 00:24:54 PDT 1998

Oh, god, I feel an opinion attack coming on--stop me, stop me before I get
to the keyboard--aarrrrghghghgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

too late.

An obviously fervent brewer *and* drinker wrote:
>>Drinking at events is a long-standing tradition.

How I love this rationalization. "Such&such is ok because it's A
Tradition." Oh yeah. That's enough justification for me, by golly. I buy it
from adults about as quick as I bought/buy it from my offspring. "But
Moooooommmmm, the graduating sixth grade boys have *always* stripped to
their skivvies, covered themselves in post-it notes and danced for the
janitor--it's *tradition*!" And what about slavery? Wasn't that a great
idea,? It was definitely a long-standing tradition, pan-culturally even.
Hey, circumcising pubescent girls' clitorises--regardless of their wishes
*and* sans  analgesic--is a long-standing tradition in some parts of
Africa--I guess since it's *tradition*, it's A-OK, eh?

Three guesses how much respect I hold for this freestanding
rationalization. First two don't count.

>>Its an integral part to socializing in mundane society and it had better
>>be allowed in the SCA, otherwise people won't socialize here anymore
>>and the SCA will die...a most boring death at that!

Obviously, a different definition of "integral" is going around than what
I'm aware of. Yes, drinking is a very extensive passtime for many
Americans.  Alcohol consumption does have a sizeable impact on societal
behaviour. That's a big reason why we have such laws as those dealing with
drunk driving, public drunkeness, open container laws (in various places),
legal drinking ages, etc, along with such institutions as AA, rehab
centers, in-patient and out-patient chemical dependency programs, college
degrees dealing with chemical dependency, etc.

As a recovering alcoholic going on ten years sober, I'm not about to cry
the evils of demon drink just because I can't drink (not without morphing
into a hideous version of Asshole Woman [tm]). I admire anyone who takes on
a craft and excells in it and develops the skills to produce quality work,
brewing included. Once in a blue moon I'll even taste a cordial if it
smells good enough (though after this many years of not drinking, the
alcohol smell doesn't trigger the same reactions as when I *was* drinking,
so it's amazing how infrequently an alcoholic beverage actually does smell
good enough to taste ;-> ).  I have no problem with other people drinking
around me. I also understand the basis of the original poster's fervent
insistence that drinking is "an integral part" of socializing. Partaking of
some kind of drink or food is a pretty prevalent context for socializing.
However, drinking *alcohol* is *not* an integral--as in neccessary--part of
socializing; not for people who don't have problems with chemical
dependency, in any case.

Despite whether this sounds condescending or preachy or whatever, I'm going
to say it anyway, because it's important that someone say it: if you're
making social decisions based  primarily on whether you can consume alcohol
or not, you have a drinking problem. Get help. You're missing out. I know.
It's amazing how fascinating life can become once you quit poisoning yourself.

Outside of intervention mode once again, ;-> I'd like to reiterate that,
much like Connor, though I don't really care whether sites are wet or dry
for the most part, I would not want to see any blanket decisions thrown out
that banned alcohol from all events. It would be ludicrous. We just had a
recent experience that showed us the frustration an alcohol-limited site
can cause when part of the event includes judging A&S brewing/vintning
entries (that's the A&S category for the Gulf Wars competition that got
moved from Steppes 12th Night to Candlemas). We definitely want to avoid
dry sites under those circumstances. Otherwise, who cares? I mean, other
than using alcoholics? I mean, really? There are some really wonderful
potables out there that don't contain alcohol that you can put in your
goblet/tankard while you're visiting with folks. In fact, now that I
mention it, there are some wonderful folk you can visit with while
wandering around with your goblet/tankard full of
coke/perrier/juice/coffee(!!!)/water even. What an amazing concept. Going
to events because of the people and the activities. Where will this
newfangled thinking end?!? Actually remembering stuff the next day? Heaven

cynicism...gaining...must...disengage.......erghhh.....
Aquilanne

Dory Grace--The Inkwell
denouncer of Tytyvylus & warrior crone
Austin, Texas