ANST - Dry sites will kill the SCA

Donald Riney dariusobells at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:49:57 PDT 1998

Well the concept of "killing the SCA" can only be accomplished in a few
ways:

1. zero attendance at events

While as an autocrat I have looked for wet sites because a dry site does
tend to hurt the attendance, it does not eliminate attendance, in fact
the dry events I have been to have been alot of fun! Those events are
generaly populated by gentles wishing and willing to study and discuss
history, as well as have a good time during the days events.

2. people forget why we play the game

Why do I play the game? to have fun. I enjoy siting around a fire having
a beer with friends and singing songs, I also enjoy the same drinking a
Coke.What gives me the most pleasure is watching people go out of their
way in order to try to recreate the atmosphere and virtues of the middle
ages. the only true problem I see with a dry site is when people violate
the bonds of Honor, Courtesy, Chivalry and Hosptality, by breaking the
site rules. In breaking these premesis we are hurting the game. I don't
believe the SCA will die from the use of dry sites. I also don't look
for the day when groups stop using wet sites. I hope never to live to
see the day when I hear the words GAME OVER in regards to the SCA.

The whole thing breaks down to a simple statement:
Just don't drink at a dry site.

In service
Darius of the Bells