ANST - One Bad Apple

Raymond Catz scurlock at ies.net
Thu Apr 30 17:48:51 PDT 1998

> 		Jeremy, Why is it then that if we SHOULD take the stand
> and deal with the one transgressor, that the policies and laws in place
> within the SCA make it difficult to do so?  Also, should this
> transgressor be someone of rank, what makes you think that people would
> be WILLING to deal with them?

I had to think about this.  The fact is that our kingdom law and governing
policies give us a great deal more freedom to handle problems than we are
usually willing to give ourselves.  Hence, my comment on the subject.  I am
sure that it has not escaped your attention that there is a certain
anarchic thread in the way in which we deal with our problems in this
kingdom.  This has, from time to time, caused me no end of concern.

Your question about rank is, admittedly, more problematic.  This question
touches on the very social fabric upon which the SCA is based.  The answer
is probably that rank affects the manner and level at which a problem is
addressed, rather than whether it is addressed at all.  Lord knows, we have
in the past been faced with a person of rank who seriously violated our
code.  I think I can say with a straight face that I have not encountered
such a situation in which some appropriate confrontation did not occur at
the proper level.  In at least one case I can remember, the sanction
involved the resignation of a peerage.

>Nobody will stop someone when they have had too much to drink.

Not entirely true.  I've done this myself.  But, I have to ask, stop them
from what?  Driving? Committing a crime? Or from just being drunk?  The
appropriate response is dictated by the answer to this question.

>I know of a case that involved a person (who had been
> drinking) being too forward with a lady, MUCH too forward.  Even though
> Mundane legal issues were raised, the entire matter was hush hushed
> within the SCA.  I think that these sort of things need to be addressed
> and dealt with, not swept under the royal carpet.

We are both familiar with this case.  You are unfortunately running up
against that anarchic thread that I mentioned earlier.  In cases involving
genuine criminality, the tendency is to want to wait until a conviction is
secured.  Personally, while I think this is probably wise in relation to
board level sanctions, I am not exactly a supporter of it as a blanket
policy at a local or kingdom level.

Trust me on this.  Nothing is being swept under anybody's carpet.  The mere
fact that you are not yet in a position to see or hear policy discussions
does not necessarily mean that anything is being buried.

E-mail me privately and tell me what you would see done.

							Jeremy
.