ANST - Summerthing Schedule (Long)

Steafanmac at aol.com Steafanmac at aol.com
Fri Aug 14 13:33:56 PDT 1998

Greetings unto all!

A reminder that the Barony of the Stargate presents Summerthing tomorrow,
Saturday, August 15th at Oaks Presbyterian Church, 1576 Chantilly Lane,
Houston.  The gate will open at 8:30am and the site will close at 11:00pm.
The site is DRY and pets are not permitted.  There will be a potluck feast
served in the evening, so please bring a dish to serve 4-6 people (we suggest
the following, by first initial of mundane last name:  A-H, entree; I-P, side
dish; Q-Z, dessert) and an ingredient card for those with food allergies.
Site fee is $5.00 for adults, $3.00 for children, $15.00 maximum for families.
Make checks payable to SCA, Inc.-Barony of the Stargate.

Lady Gillian Fitzsimmons is serving as our minister of children for the day
and has arranged a full day of classes for our smalls.  The schedule of
children's classes will be available at troll.

The day's competitions will include: best A&S piece produced onsite; best A&S
piece brought from offsite; best children's A&S piece produced onsite; best
overall feast dish.  A&S competitions will be populace vote.

The Stargate Teen Theatre Guild will be presenting a scene from Shakespeare's
Romeo & Juliet during the evening's feast.

The day's classes include:  Middle Eastern Warm-Up / Taxim; Voice and Bardic
Workshop I; Cutting Feather Quills; Pointilism; Beginning Fingerweaving;
Embellishing Garb; Beginning English Country Dance & Bransles; History of and
Practical Advice to Ladies in Waiting; Drumming for Middle Eastern Dancers;
Papermaking; Leaving Your Mark in Style: Period Signatures; Scrimshaw Making;
How to Clothe Your Persona; Fundamentals of Middle Eastern Dance; Beginning
Charter Painting; Voice & Bardic Workshop II; Geneology; Research &
Documentation of Renaissance Clothing; Basic & Advanced Soapmaking;
Introduction to Instrumental Period Music; Glass Beadmaking; Eastern & Western
Chainmail; Dressing for Success on the Armored Field; Basic Embroidery; Sing
and the World Sings With You, Or At Least They'll Hum The Tune; Women in the
Medieval Church; SCA 101; Beginning Counted Cross Stitch; Horsin' Around in
the SCA; Making Beaded Circlets; Medieval vs. Mundane: What to Know Before You
Go to England; Details, Details, Details: Fleshing Out Storytelling; Box Oven
Making; Bladecraft & Stock Removal; Herbalism; Facing for a Foldover T-Tunic.

Lord Ihon Vinson MacFergus has requested that those interested in his Drumming
for Middle Eastern Dancers class please bring their own drum.  Lord Breoghan
has requested that those interested in his Introduction to Instrumental Period
Music class please have a fundamental knowledge of how to read sheet music and
please bring their own instruments.  Lord Nickolaous Demitriu ho Toxotes has
requested that those interested in his Western & Eastern Chainmail class
please bring two pair of pliers, at least one needlenose.  (A limited amount
of pliers will be available on hand.)  If you know of anyone attending this
event that may be interested in these classes but does not subscribe to this
list, please pass the word along so that they may be prepared for these
classes.

Directions:  Take your best route to the I-610 Loop (just east of the
intersection of I-610 and Hwy. 290).  Take East TC Jester North to 43rd.  Turn
RIGHT (East) on 43rd.  Turn RIGHT on Chantilly.  Oaks Presbyterian will be the
second church on your right (across Chantilly from Black Oak Middle School),
on the corner of Chantilly and Piney Woods.  Park on the street or in back of
the church (parking lot is one block west, at the corner of Cheshire and Piney
Woods).

If you have any questions, please contact the autocrats, Laird Steafan mac
Thamhais (mka Steven Hall) at 281-651-0781 or steafanmac at aol.com; or HL Signy
Gandalvsdottir (mka Debbie Spangler) at 281-353-9118 or paperdol at wt.net.  Hope
to see you there!