ANST - The Sca and Tandy

Mike C. Baker kihe at ticnet.com
Sat Aug 29 06:35:49 PDT 1998

Suggestion -- if you must continue dealing with Tandy for whatever
reason, sidestep the issue entirely.

If the re-pricing is dependent upon kits, refuse to buy packaged kits.
Choose raw materials, full spools of lace, grab-bags of misc parts,
quantity packages of dyes/finishes/stamping tools.

If the re-pricing is across the board, band together with other SCA
craft-folk and buy in bulk from mail-order sources. If some
favorite project has been dependent upon Tandy kits, generate
your own cutting/tooling templates and use materials from
these alternate sources.

For small quantities or occasional use, consider used leather from
garage sale sources: even discarding the linings and taking care
to treat for fungals, a single pair of used boots can provide strapping
for a set of hardshell knees or elbows. By careful planning, even a
striking set of vambraces (consider some of the fancy-tooled
boottops split on the back seam and re-mounted / grommetted
and laced...)

Mike C. Baker
SCA: Amr ibn Majid al-Bakri al-Amra
"Other": Kihe Blackeagle (the Dreamsinger Bard)
My opinions are my own -- who else would want them?
e-mail: kihe at ticnet.com OR kihe at rocketmail.com