ANST - Scribal Question-and Answer

peerage1 peerage1 at flash.net
Mon Aug 31 22:23:56 PDT 1998

Alright, Rayah here, I was asked about scrolls:

Larkin said:
> They both hold AoA's from the Kingdom of the West but
> would like very much to have one of our "pretty" scrolls.  Would it be
> appropriate to use the Ansteorran AoA scroll and transcribe the
> information from their original promisary scroll from the West?

West Kingdom has their scribal handbook online-here's the site:
http://www.sca.org.au/lochac/scribes/handbook.html

There you will find the full text and requirements of their scroll
awards-including that AOA.  Isn't that nice? You don't have to struggle
translating over that promissary. You can use the actual west kingdom
text and do a very nice scroll for them, the west kingdom text is not
much different then ours.

> In addition, could you tell me what the procedures are for preparing
> achievement scrolls in general?  I think that I would like to try my
> hand at designing one for myself and my lady wife.

All at once??????
How about an overview, the scribal handbook for ansteorra is almost 85%
complete....

Achievement scrolls: Okay....
An achievement scroll is signed by the Star Principal Herald. It is a
scroll that shows your arms (device/shield) display.  It tells folks
what you have for blazon of your device/shield.

1. You must have your arms and name formally approved, passed and
registered with Society.

2. Make sure you have an Award that is armigerious (has the right and
dignity of arms) from the Crown-there are four types of right and
dignity to bear arms-check which one your award has:

Award of Arms
Grant of Arms
Patent of Arms
Nobility

Each one of these armgerious awards has a certain level of neato
things-helms/mottos/supporters/livery/crest etc.etc. that you put around
the shield/device display and the display is restricted to by what level
of arms you have.

Anyone holding a grant of arms, patent of Arms or a Nobility
(count/duke/baron) goes though a arms achievement registration with the
Stellar Scribe (John Ruble  aka: Ulf  email: ulf at urocor.com) for their
device arms display. IT COSTS NOTHING if you have a society registered
device. It's an Ansteorran thing-only registered in this kingdom.  See
web site below for the paperwork you're going to fill out with stellar
scribe (*or your local herald to be passed onto the stellar scribe).
Then wait for that achievement arms display to pass and be registered
(hey, it's nifty, that site i gave above even lists who has what in
their arms display).

For full information on arms achievement display heraldically- go to the
site for an achievement registration form-it tells you that information
on it:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2883/ach_form.gif

Homepage of that site is:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Aegean/2883/heraldry.html

3. THEN..you get the proper current achievement text for the level of
award you want to do. Ask your local regional scribe or Star Signet.
They have the approved current official kingdom text for achievement
scrolls-and that text has all the information a scribe needs-size,
wording etc.

After all that, it's simply a matter of deciding what style to
calligraph/illuminate on the scroll.

Please, don't mix timeframes in calligraphy/illumination styles...it's
very so very very painful to see...and I see it alot in beginning or
early intermediate scribes.
Mixing historical styles in calligraphy and illumination is the
equvalient of seeing someone show up at an event wearing a gabled tudor
headdress, a full kilt, chained at the knee long pointed shoes, and a
striped bedouin cloak (and they aren't a jester) and saying "well, it
looked pretty to me and everything is defineatly medieval!"

Scary huh?

The Ansteorran Scribal Handbook should be online, at least parts of it,
as soon as the Kingdom Herald and the Kingdom Signet approve all the
text and those very formal articles of how this office/herald/scribe
type stuff works.
It's getting closer and closer. Honest. There's this huge monsterous
crew of heralds/scribes/and assorted other folks working on it... and
you'll be amazed at all the work they've done so far.

Anyone who wants a 15 page overwordy almost too anal rententive article
on basic materials and tools of a scribe can email me a request for it
at:

peerage1 at flash.net

That's the number ONE after the word peerage. I will send this article
of mine to you..be warned, it takes a bit of time to go through.

In paperchains,
Mistress Rayah Blackstar